PDA

View Full Version : Identify this winch

navydevildoc
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
OK, so I have this PTO driven winch on the front of my IIA.

I have no idea what it is... doesn't seem to match up to anything I have been able to find online.

Anyone have a guess?

Sorry for the picture... the sun is beating down and it's a crazy 91 degrees today.

Terrys
04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
That's your Trusty Fairy Capstan Winch.

navydevildoc
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks!!!

For anyone else in this situation, I found this page over on Pangolin 4x4 that lists a lot of series era winches...

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/winches/winches.html

usadventureracing
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I have the same winch but i do not have the shaft from the PTO to the winch. Does anyone know where I can get one? thanks

leafsprung
04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
That's your Trusty Fairy Capstan Winch.

I believe its a aeroparts capstan. The fairey normally has FWL (fairey winches limited) or MAP (mayflower automotive parts) cast into the bollard and the rope guide is fabricated instead of cast.

Lawrie
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I have recently seen several complete, incomplete and pieces of Aeroparts winches on UK ebay. If you don't find a shaft, i would imgaine you could source spec and have one made.
I had one on front of my 109, had to keep it greased to ensure it would engage/disengage easily. Worked well, i did tree work with it, pulled cars out, and myself out. I am a sailor, and liked the ability to "tail" the winch stop, go, slip just the way I wanted on top of having a engine driven vs. electric winch -draining your battery. (if you do get it going, make sure to keep the RPM's near idle or just above)