PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Galvanized Parts

jrd51ox
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I have noticed that some people's rovers have very clean galvanized pieces on the rear corners & body (along where the hardtop meets the body)

Do you guy's buy replacement pieces? If so where?

Or, is re-galvanizing the only option?

Mine are discolored & I want to bring them back to life.

Thanks again & take care.

Leslie
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
If anybody would have 'em, it'd be our hosts, but more often than not, people have them regalvanized.

Drain Rovers2
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
You can paint them with silver hammeroid rust olium in the can that works great
Good Luck!

NickDawson
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
You can paint them with silver hammeroid rust olium in the can that works great
Good Luck!

I have had the same question - glad the OP asked it.

During my search, I've seen more of the pain than the re-galvanized stuff. Glad to hear that is at least a valid practice.

rwollschlager
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
the silver paint like hammerite or rustoleum does work in that it makes the trim shiny and silver. However many people do not like it because it is not as original or as durable as the galvinization. On the positive side the paint can be touched up as needed cheaply and easily unlike galvinized bits. What I've done in the past was lightly brush the surface rust off of the trim with steel wool and some rust stain remover (found with kitchen cleaner in grocery stores, or in auto parts stores.) and then use the cold galvinising in the can, which has held up pretty well over the original galvinising.

LH Drive
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
If the scotch pad idea doesn't work you can mail them to me as I'll be galvanizing my bulkhead soon after I repair it. Just don't paint them.

jrd51ox
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all your help.

LH Drive, wow, that would be great. I'll send over a PM with my contact info. Just keep me updated & let me know when you are ready.

ShootingCar
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I had some parts powder coated in silver finish to mimic galvg.
Where do you find the cold galvanizing material. My edges of the 88 along the vertical outside corners are surface rusting and I don't want to take them off.

Jeff

BGGB
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
when i did my restoratoin i had all the galvaning off already and used a cold galvanizing paint from a spray can that i picked up at Ace. at first is was disapointed because it was soft and would mark easily,it was also one solid color not the flack appearance we're used to seeing. after a few months in the warm weather it looks feels and wears like a new peice,i'm quite pleased now

Broadstone
05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I used cold Galv. I did three thin coats then lightly sanded over it with steel wool to get a more imperfect and less shiny finish. I then put a coat of clearcoat over that. has been 6 years and still looks great no chips, fading or problems.

jrd51ox
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
What brand did you use for the cold galv & where did you buy it? I came across the ZRC brand website, which is very impressive. However, the price I found was not.

rwollschlager
05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
i think rustoleum may have their own cold galvinizing compound and there are a couple other odd ball brands that do too. Just browse the spray can aisle of your local hardware store and you'll see a couple different types there.

NC Rover
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I used cold Galv. I did three thin coats then lightly sanded over it with steel wool to get a more imperfect and less shiny finish. I then put a coat of clearcoat over that. has been 6 years and still looks great no chips, fading or problems.

Do you have any pictures you could post up?

jrd51ox
05-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I just ordered a few ZRC Cold Galvanizing spray cans directly from the ZRC for $9.99 a can. I'll post some pictures after I complete the coating.

I have never used it before....but the brand has been used all over the world on some major projects. I guess I'm an easy sell, but the website did it for me.

lrdukdog
05-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I have used this from Eastwoods,
http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=galvanizing&submit.x=24&submit.y=12

Jim Wolf

jac04
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Let us know how it comes out. If you are going for a real galvanized look, I think that you will be disappointed.
When I originally restored my '63 I tried cold galvanizing and it looked horrible IMO. I then tried Hammerite silver/gray. If put on as directed, it will produce a 'hammered' finish, but if applied in very thin coats it will produce a smooth finish with some color variations. It looked great (actually won several awards at British Car shows, even with painted trim!!) and was a very tough coating. If you decide to paint the trim, I think this is the way to go.

In the end, I wanted my '63 to be more correct so I had everything re-galvanized. It was a PITA to get everything done properly, but the results were well worth it.

Bertha
05-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I just ordered a few ZRC Cold Galvanizing spray cans directly from the ZRC for $9.99 a can. I'll post some pictures after I complete the coating.

I have never used it before....but the brand has been used all over the world on some major projects. I guess I'm an easy sell, but the website did it for me.

That will not hold up to the elements. It only works well for areas that are concealed, and has a dull grey chalky finish that does not look anything close to galvinize. On the flip side, I found that, that stuff works well if you want to get a similar look to the sherodised finish as found on the fasteners all over the truck. I use it for the interior hardware, as most of the exterior hardware I use is stainless.

jrd51ox
05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Bertha, have you used it before or know someone who has?

Also, what do you suggest if this is the wrong brand?

jrd51ox
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
If you are going for a real galvanized look, I think that you will be disappointed.
When I originally restored my '63 I tried cold galvanizing and it looked horrible IMO. I then tried Hammerite silver/gray. If put on as directed, it will produce a 'hammered' finish, but if applied in very thin coats it will produce a smooth finish with some color variations. It looked great (actually won several awards at British Car shows, even with painted trim!!

jac04-
I was able to cancel the ZRC order in time. You described what I want. I'll try the thin coat method with the Hammerite silver/gray and let you know how it comes out.

Thank you.

jac04
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
^^ I think that you will be happy with it. I had it on my trim right next to the galvanized hoop set on my truck, and it was hard to tell the difference from 10 feet away.
Just make sure to clean the galv. trim and use a primer for galvanized parts before spraying them.

Broadstone
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I purchased my cold Galv. from Clearco Products co. Inc in PA. Title on can was Silvercoat Bright Galvanize.

Broadstone
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
jrd51ox
This is the best photo I could come up with
sorry its not more of a close up

bobzinak
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
this works very good to clean up your galvanized parts. use muriatic acid with rubber gloves, fine steel wool, have arunning hose ready to wash off acid when desired etching is complete. put acid on steel wool and scub you gavanized parts till clean wash off acid. the acid left on will etch all the galvazing off so do not let it set on galv. parts. clear coat when finished. you can buy muriatic acid at hardware stores or pool supply companies..I wirked in the sheet metal trade for years and this works very well. and will in most cases remove stains from rover parts..only do it as much as you need to..as I said it will etch all the galvanizinf off the steel. but in my experience the galvanized parts have a thick coating...if it dosen't work you can still have them recoated, or painted (IMHO) that doesen't look as good...please post how it works out..bobzinak..