PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

roverchris
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
My recent acquisition of a 1991 classic is not turning out the way I planned. Ever since I got it, I've run into the same problem each time the truck is started in the morning...here it is.

The brakes simply don't work once the truck is put into reverse or drive. Well, they stop the truck, eventually, but with much effort...the brake feels cushiony...there appears to be no response.

Here's the odd part...after I somehow bring the truck to rest, if I put the truck into park, then reverse, then back into park, then drive, normally the brakes will start working, but having to go through this ritual each time is a bit ridiculous.

So, with all of that said, any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks

tiger
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
My recent acquisition of a 1991 classic is not turning out the way I planned. Ever since I got it, I've run into the same problem each time the truck is started in the morning...here it is.

The brakes simply don't work once the truck is put into reverse or drive. Well, they stop the truck, eventually, but with much effort...the brake feels cushiony...there appears to be no response.

Here's the odd part...after I somehow bring the truck to rest, if I put the truck into park, then reverse, then back into park, then drive, normally the brakes will start working, but having to go through this ritual each time is a bit ridiculous.

So, with all of that said, any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks

Consider this an inexpert reply, because I have not experience the same problem. Have tinkered with RR brakes a bit, though.
It may give you some clues, at least.
If your pedal will go down to the floor, that is indicative of a hyraulic problem. Either your brakes need bleeding, or they are leaking somewhere, like one of the calipers.
If the pedal is firm but it just takes a lot of effort, that is most likely something to do with the vaccum powered brake booster, you probably have a vaccum leak somewhere. How that is affected by moving in and out of gear, I have no idea. Could just be it takes time to develop enough vaccum power.
Again, don't take the above as definitive info, but maybe it helps you.