PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help

Jim-ME
04-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I would like to know if I have bad bearings either differential or wheel would they make noise with the rear end jacked up using jack stands so both tires are off the garage floor and the transmission is put into gear so the wheels will spin under power? I've got one rear wheel that you can hear the brake shoes rub on the drum with the adjuster backed all the way off. Not so much contact as you have to put a lot of effort into turning the wheel but none the less I can hear it. The drums were turned and I've chamfered the leading edges of the Mintex shoes. I am at a loss here. Thanks in advance,
Jim

Drain Rovers2
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
If your bearings are bad you will be able to move the wheel side to side slightly, it will make a "clunking" noise. It will also wobble at a speed.
The brake drum will not make much noise exapt for rubbing.
What kind of sound are you hearing when the wheels are in motion??????

Jim-ME
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
The rear wheels are rock solid no wobble either side to side or up and down. I do apparently have a bent wheel as I noticed it when I watched the rear wheel turn under power on jack stands. I'm getting a vibration and when I let off the gas which I think is a result of the shoes rubbing on the drum because it gets worse the longer I drive it. It's the only thing I can think of unless one of the bearings in the diff is going bad but wouldn't I hear that when the rear end was on stands and under power? I'm off to pull the drum of the offending side. I'll be back shortly.
Jim

Mercedesrover
04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
You won't hear bad wheel bearings unless there is weight on the wheels. Did the noise you heard driving get worse when you were turning left or right? That's a sign of bad wheel bearings.

Likewise, you probably won't hear bad pinion bearings unless there is a load on the diff or unless it is really bad. Try to feel for free-play in the pinion.

CliftonRover
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
you could put the truck in neutral and block thge wheels and twist the drive shaft. this would give you an idea of the play in the rear diff. keep in mind the axle shafts have some play.

Jim-ME
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll have to put things back together and go for a ride to answer the turn left/right question. The drive shaft will turn 1/4" before I feel it engage the ring gear and if I grab the drive shaft there is no up or down movement or side to side at the diff end but there is some slop in the u-joint but them again it doesn't seem excessive unless there is supposed to be zero.
Jim
PS
No difference between left and right turns.

jac04
04-22-2009, 09:43 PM
There should be no slop in the u-joints at all.

Jim-ME
04-23-2009, 04:11 AM
I beginning to think that I have a bunch of problems which I'll fix one at a time. Thanks for the guidance.
Jim

Jim-ME
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Update- I had the worst drum returned by a good company. Apparently it was still out of round and wasn't cut deep enough. It seems that the shoes were dragging on the drum which caused them to get hot. The hotter they got the worse it was. I still have to deal with the exhaust system from the head back but It is much better and I have learned my lesson about brakes. Purchase genuine if available, both drums and shoes. This has been a genuine case of, a little knowledge is dangerous.
Jim