PDA

View Full Version : Intake question

shortbutslow
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi all - new to this board with a '64 Slla and an intake question. I was on Teriann's site looking over the carb faqs and saw the info below: I haven't seen the porting or removal of the locating sleeve(?) on a standard intake discussed much - anyone done this or know anything about it? I'd like some more info on it if its worthwhile.

INTAKE MANIFOLDS
Type CFM Rating
Pierce 2-barrel as comes in Weber 2-barrel kit 297CFM @ 1.5"
Factory 1-barrel, unmodified 189CFM @ 1.5"
Factory 1-barrel, modified 235CFM @ 1.5"
(Modified manifold has had locating sleeve removed and inside edges radiused towards ports)
Thanks

Clay

greenmeanie
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I've never heard of it myself but that is not saying anything. When looking at cfm ratings though you have to be careful and match the entire system . There's no point trying to flow 235 cfm through a stock head with a stock cam etc.

You can spend an awful lot of time and money chasing performance on a 2 1/4 and it is never going to be spectacular. There are cheaper ways to achieve that. The real attraction of the engine is that it will go on forever even when abused and is dead simple to keep maintained.

shortbutslow
04-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks - I'm under no illusions about my 2-1/4, but if I've got to do something anyway I figure I'll do what I can to help the lump breathe a little easier. I'm headed for a new exhaust (2"-2.5"?) and since I'll be in the vicinity was wondering about this since it looks pretty simple to do.