PDA

View Full Version : Over Torquing

Jim-ME
04-26-2009, 06:27 AM
If a differential drive flange was over torqued to 120 ftlbs not 85 as specified in the green bible what are the potential consequences? Thanks,
Jim

BackInA88
04-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I believe you can just back it off and re-torque it.
I think you will be fine since these diffs don't use crush sleeves.

Steve

junkyddog11
04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
How did you determine the over torque, as the breaking torque will be well over the set torque.

Generally I go high on these as (already been mentioned) they are shimmed so no harm done if there are still threads on everything.

Jim-ME
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm trying to diagnose a new problem which feels like a dragging brake with associated vibration that gets worse the longer you drive it and it starts being noticeable at about 30 mph and up. I've checked the spline alignment on the driveshaft since I had it apart to put on a new rubber boot on the slip joint;I've checked the axle nut torque at the drive members; loosened the re-torqued the nut at the differential; put 4 new bolts and nuts at the rear of the drive shaft because the existing had 2 longer than the other 2 trying to make sure everything is in balance; I still have to get one drum re-turned because the first place left the worst one out of round so I'll bet the other one is still out of round; I've ordered new genuine brake shoes and springs to replace the Mintex I put on last Sat. I'm trying everything I can think of without tearing into the rear diff. I've even ordered a new exhaust system because the old one makes so much noise it's hard to really figure out where the other noise is coming from but I needed it anyway. I moved the bent wheel to the front to see if that makes any difference. I did get a used drive member with an external oil fill screw and added Lucas Hub Oil to fill the rear hubs. I also replaced the rear diff about 2 weeks ago with a good used one.The only thing I changed on that was the I put on a new flange that the drive shaft bolts to with a new mud shield and replaced the pinion oil seal. I'm about at whit's end.
Jim

BackInA88
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Are the U-joints on the drive shaft phased/clocked correctly?

Steve

Jim-ME
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I think so but I'm not 100% sure. They are lined up so that the ears on the flanges that either bolt to the differential and the ebrake drum are in line. I've never changed the orientation of these and they are the way the new drive shaft came.
Jim

junkyddog11
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Take the driveshaft out and drive it....see if that is the issue. May be a UJ that is siezed up tight. Will not feel loose, but will vibrate.