PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 rebuild w/2.5 cam

Clembs
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey i have seen forums with the 2.25 rebuild but wanted to get a fresh view of cost parts and time.

I just found out a friend is doing a rebuild this summer on a 2.25. I am buying his old 2.25 with a down 4th cylinder. I plan to rebuild that with a 2.5 cam and new seals, gaskets, bearings, paint, and dist. I might then (money ?) buy our host SIII rebuilt tranny and trans case combo. I do not plan to replace everything but I have the time, im a teacher, woohoo, and my truck is running nice but a little low on power. What are must to do with rebuilds.
I plan to port and polish the head with guides, springs, valves, and gasket.
Hone the cylinders to get compression back,
Should i get new piston heads or just soak the originals if they are good?
Bearings, rods and oil pump will be as needed.

Externals:
New Dist with me new Pertronix
Intake Manifold
Keep carb Webber
Fuel pump.

I know Turner is what everyone says but i have the time and am very precise so i think it will be a good project for the summer
I will weigh cost and maybe a turner 2.5 head will happen.

scott
04-27-2009, 09:40 AM
i did mine last fall. don't know how it turned out cause it's still on the stand. working on the bulkhead and wiring. i went w/ the 2.5 cam, new timing chain gears and tensioner, .06 over pistons, new MB, rod bearings, new rear seal, rebuilt 8.5:1 head. had the crank balanced, cost about $1800. looks great. to good to put into an old dirty/rusty engine bay.

Clembs
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
how much is a fully rebuilt engine? That seems high for a self rebuild. Another friend of mine just bought a high output turner in his 109 and i thought it was only around 3,500-4,000. Not sure if he just had the heads done by turner but the engine was a full perfesional rebuild

Eric W S
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
how much is a fully rebuilt engine? That seems high for a self rebuild. Another friend of mine just bought a high output turner in his 109 and i thought it was only around 3,500-4,000. Not sure if he just had the heads done by turner but the engine was a full perfesional rebuild

A Turner is listed at 1950 pound sterling before shipping and VAT.

Pound is very cheap at the moment.

scott
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
a machinist did almost all the work. i just put on the oil pump, manifolds, dizzy, water pump. the rebuilt head was purchased as a unit.

jac04
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
how much is a fully rebuilt engine?
The Turner HO long block is usually around $5000 from an East Coast US supplier. A similar engine from our hosts looks like it is around the same.