• Show
Clear All
  • NickDawson
    5th Gear
    • Apr 2009

Found One!

Hey Gang,
    Just thought I'd share some good news-
    I found a Rover in North Carolina that, baring any major issues, is about to have a new home in Virginia!

Its a 1972 III LHD that appears to be in wonderful condition.

I say "appears" because I am buying it sight unseen, with a catch. When the current owner and I spoke, she mentioned that Tony Kipling from Old English Cars had been doing the service. I know Tony's name as a very reputable mechanic and restoration guy in the area - he is British and specializes in trucks from his native country.

The sale is contingent on an inspection from another guy I trust a lot, Sean Jones from Blueridge Rover Works - I wanted an impartial opinion and Sean has worked on a friend's series in the past.

Assuming it vets out, then I feel great about the price and even better about the the truck and couldn't wait to share the excitement with the "gurus" here.

It felt somewhat bizarre to buy something so important sight unseen - but I had heard many other stories here about other folks doing the same. Finger's crossed that the inspection won't reveal anything that will present conflict.. but I think I'm back in the Rover world!

I'll say "thank you" now to everyone who offered advice during the search...but know this: I'll be asking a lot more questions as I learn and grow with this thing You arn't done with me yet...

Pics here:

The rest of the set - as taken by the current owner

I am curious what people think about the appearance of slights surface (is there such thing?) rust on the transfer tunnel

p.s. I think a guy with a shop called "Blueridge Rover Works" knows what to look for - but anything specific I should request? Compression test for instance?
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

The surface rust doesn't look bad, definitely have the mechanic check the footwells as those look like brand spanking new rubber floormats which could be a nice addition or put there to hide rusty footwells or bad repairs to the footwells.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• NickDawson
      5th Gear
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by LaneRover
      The surface rust doesn't look bad, definitely have the mechanic check the footwells as those look like brand spanking new rubber floormats which could be a nice addition or put there to hide rusty footwells or bad repairs to the footwells.

Brent
      Thanks Brent - me search as taught me a lot about rust foot wells - they are usually a sign of a rotted bulkhead

Comment

• Jeff Aronson
        • Oct 2006

Sean writes well about Land Rovers and clearly has a lot of personal experience with them. Smart move on your part to have an independent inspection. And you know the long list of recommended points for inspection, too.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you. Don't hink those are original wheels - which does not matter.

Jeff
        Jeff Aronson
        Vinalhaven, ME 04863
        '66 Series II-A SW 88"
        '66 Series II-A HT 88"
        '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
        '80 Triumph Spitfire
        '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
        http://www.landroverwriter.com

Comment

• rwollschlager
          5th Gear
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jeff Aronson
          Good luck - I hope it works out for you. Don't hink those are original wheels - which does not matter.

Jeff
          I might be mistaken but im pretty sure those are new goodyear G90's on wolf rims most likley sourced from George at RDS. IMO thats a good thing. Many people upgrade to those rims later on anyway.

-Rob
          ------------------------------------------------
          72 SIII 88
          67 SIIA 109
          82 SIII Stage 1 V8
          -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• NickDawson
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2009

Thanks all
            Curious what other things stick out as being "different"?

For instance, the mirrors look like defender mirrors to me - or am I mistaken?

I've seen some IIIs with the door hinges painted and others without. LRFAQ.org seems moot on the point.

Comment

• Broadstone
              2nd Gear
              • Jan 2009

It has been painted so check for body filler! In the rear tub sides where the seatbelt mounting system causes corrosion, also at the bulkhead top corners. Good luck!!
              1973 NADA 88

Comment

• JayGoss
                1st Gear
                • Nov 2006

+1 for Sean Jones- he's a good, honest guy. Good luck- and I hope it turns out to be a nice one. If not don't worry- there will be others.
                1960 Series II SWB
                1994 NAS D90 ST
                1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
                1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
                2000 Disco SII (sold)
                1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

• Eric W S
                  5th Gear
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Broadstone
                  It has been painted so check for body filler! In the rear tub sides where the seatbelt mounting system causes corrosion, also at the bulkhead top corners. Good luck!!
                  Looks like a 20 footer to me. Why would you paint the rubber plugs on the trans cover? Trim has been painted as well.

All Series trucks look good in pics. I'd still never buy one sight unseen... First thing you don't do if you want to keep you $$$...

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                    Overdrive
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by NickDawson
                    Thanks all
                    Curious what other things stick out as being "different"?
                    Anti-burst door latches

Chassis outrigger repairs

Side step welded to outrigger instead of being bolted/screwed to it (I can't remember which)

Registration plate (in dash tray) from a vehicle first registered between 8/74 and 7/75

Since your state and the seller's state touch, I'd spend the money on a tank of gas and see the vehicle in person before I part with my money. Lots of relatively recent asthetic stuff--Shiny new paint, brand new wheels and tires, floor mats, front leaf springs, bright new galvanizing (or silver paint on the galvanized stuff--I can't tell) and (possibly) new upholstry. These could be red flags or it could mean nothing.

Of course, If you're getting a great deal on in it may not matter one way or another.
                    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Bertha
                      3rd Gear
                      • Nov 2007

A shiny paint job over rust holes in various parts and what appears to be a patched up series 3 frame is exactly the truck you do NOT want to buy. It appears you are going for the shiny paint job special-exactly what you have been advised not to do. Hopefully the mechanical will check out for you, at least you will have that going for you, however plan on needing a frame shortly down the road, if in fact that truck still has its original one with patches on it.
                      1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
                      1971 88 (restored and as new)
                      1967 88 (the next project)

Comment

• NickDawson
                        5th Gear
                        • Apr 2009

Appreciate all the insight as usual folks.

the deal we've struck leaves me with a nice out should the local mechanic see anything that concerns him - as we all know its hard to tell from pictures.

The deposit I gave the current owner is less than what a weekend and 16 hour round trip drive w/ a rented trailer would have cost me - plus its clear that I still don't know what I'm looking at so I'd need a local expert anyway. At least this way I don't have to take off work or lose a weekend.

Bertha - curious where you see patches on the frame so I can learn what to look for. Again, pictures arn't great, but it looked better to me than many I've seen in person recently.

At the end of the day, if Sean feels good about the frame and engine then I have to decide what I think about the rest of the criticisms here. The deal was for a price I felt good about so it may stand.

I've looked at trucks that are supposedly in good mechanical shape and running well but that need a body overhaul - even for the difference in cash, I had to ask myself I were up to the job. Without a garage and spraying tools, I decide that a good paint job was worth something to me - so long as its not masking serious issues (again, something I decided I was willing to pay a professional to help me diagnose).

anyway...guess I'll see what pans out

Comment

• galen216
                          2nd Gear
                          • Nov 2006

I have to be the devil's advocate here. People are so quick to say a frame is junk. Frames can be nursed along for a long time with a good welder.

That being said, I wouldn't pay over $6000 for a truck that does not have a galvanized frame on the East Coast.

Oh and I bought my truck sight unseen for $3500 with no pre-inspection and it is a great Series. It can happen. Deals are out there, bide your time and don't be in a hurry.
                          74 SIII
                          96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Comment

• 49coe
                            Low Range
                            • Aug 2008

From the picture it appears that there is a riveted on patch on the passenger side of the tub where one of the seat belt supports rotted the aluminum out. Also I can't see the original rivets where the other supports would have been so I would assume that those holes/possible other rotted out spots have been bondoed over. Not the end of the world, actually pretty much par for the course for a Series III, but also not a great thing. I have a '72 as well and have ended up replacing the tub with a Series II because of the rot that those seat belt supports cause. They turned my tub into swiss cheese on the sides and under the rear seats.

Comment

• Eric W S
                              5th Gear
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by NickDawson
                              I decide that a good paint job was worth something to me - so long as its not masking serious issues (again, something I decided I was willing to pay a professional to help me diagnose).
                              What's you're definition of a good paint job? Because that rover doesn't have one...?

If 49 is right, then are you prepared to find another tub, replace it, and then repaint it to match the already craptacular existing paint job?

Add that to a dodgy frame and that's a 3k truck at best, less inspection fees..

Comment

Working...