PDA

View Full Version : Weber heat shield

vkjar
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I get the odd bit of vapour lock now and then and was looking at building a heat shield for my Weber. I am interested in seeing what others have done, any photos! Cheers

scott
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
vk, i didn't think you had heat issues up there. i haven't made it yet but i was thinking a peice of 16 gauge sheet metal, about 16" x 4" that would bolt to the under side of the top flange of my weber to intake adapter using the 2 inboard of the 4 bolts that hold my web to the adapter. it would run parallel to the valve cover about 3" above the manifolds and i'd put a crease in it that would run the 16" length about an inch in from the edge near the valve cover to give it a little bit of rigidity.

vkjar
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Scott I also though of something similar maybe not as long thou. It can get warm enough here, if it ever stops snowing! I had some vapour lock issues last summer. However this was prior to swapping out for another Weber as my old one aquired a nasty vac.leak. We will see how this summer goes. It may have just been the old carb.

scott
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
i've had a lot of problems with the heat. was living in the mojavi 2 years ago. 120+ . even here in new mex i'll see days in the 100s. i'm doing a lot of thing. one running my fuel line low on the right side then up and over just behind the fan and back to the carb. i've a 32/36 dgv weber. alo putting in a fuel return line and an electric pump. and keeping my fingures crossed

LaneRover
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
The only time I had a vapour lock issue with any of my Rover's was a drive across country when I had the original 'hard' plastic fuel line. Putting in the more rubbery modern fuel line seemed to solve that problem.

If I remember when I was on that drive I bought some pipe insulation to wrap around the fuel line to get me down the road as a quick fix. It worked pretty well.

yorker
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Someone on here or on the G&R board swapped to a fuel filter that had an extra port on it that sent surplus fuel back to the tank- it solved his vapor lock issues. Might be worth a try- it may be in the tech section over on G&R.

vkjar
04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I have seen the fuel return hose one a few post here and have though about it. Since I will be replacing both gas tanks this summer I may give it a try. It does not get that hot here but I do plan on doing some road tripping through the SW with the rover in the future. The more I think about it my issues were likely associated with the bad carb I had. I will see what this summer brings.

scott
05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
for my fuel return i drilled out and tapped the alternant fuel inlet and fitted a smaller hose bib. yellow arrow fuel in, red excess out. with dual tanks i'll have a little bit of an issue but i figure i'll run the return to primary tank, when it empties and i switch to secondary tank i'll have fuel returning to the primary tank which i'll switch to when i empty my secondary.

daveb
05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
scott, that is not a good idea. when you forget to switch to tank one after a fillup. then the return fuel drawn from tank 2 ends up overflowing tank 1. you ar ebetter off with a twin valve setup or use solenoid valves to run it off one switch.

for my fuel return i drilled out and tapped the alternant fuel inlet and fitted a smaller hose bib. yellow arrow fuel in, red excess out. with dual tanks i'll have a little bit of an issue but i figure i'll run the return to primary tank, when it empties and i switch to secondary tank i'll have fuel returning to the primary tank which i'll switch to when i empty my secondary.

scott
05-02-2009, 07:03 PM
true running on tank 2 with tank 1 full will result in an over fill. but if i can't remember to switch one valve i wonder how well i'll do with 2 valves. the best set up would be one valve that would control both but i've never seen or heard of such a valve