PDA

View Full Version : Diesel tach

superstator
04-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Anybody had any experience with these on a 2.25?

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/diesel.php#

I found some positive comments from folks using it on other engines, and it fits my requirements of a) simple and b) not displacing any perfectly good guages I've already got...

junkyddog11
04-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Yup, works fine. I dont have one mounted on a 2.25, but have an extra one with a few different size sensors and use it to set idle speed, just make sure you get the right size sensor for your lines (no I can't remember this off the top of my head).

I have them mounted on my 2.5 as well as 300tdi's, several different boats and a generator.....and the service interval timer feature is nice especially for those rigs that don't have an odometer. Now I use engine hrs for everything..

SafeAirOne
04-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Hmm...Interesting. Any Idea how the transducer works? Does it just "listen" for a swish of fuel going through the tube somehow?

superstator
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
My guess is that the fuel pulse to the injector actually deforms the line enough to register with the transducer.

junkyddog11 - do you know what size you used on your 2.5? I'll go put the dial calipers on mine tonight, but I'll bet it's the same on the 2.25 and the 2.5.

KevinNY
04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Thats looks pretty nifty. I may have to pick one up.

SafeAirOne
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
My guess is that the fuel pulse to the injector actually deforms the line enough to register with the transducer.

Wow. The walls on those lines are pretty thick--I suspect any deformation would immesurable with the engine rocking and rolling as diesels tend to do...

superstator
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow. The walls on those lines are pretty thick--I suspect any deformation would immesurable with the engine rocking and rolling as diesels tend to do...

I dunno. It does seem kind of incredible, but given that diesel is a good dielectric I don't see how else they'd measure it.

junkyddog11
05-01-2009, 06:47 AM
It's a Pezio electronic sensor. Picks up vibrations. The injector pump puts out a pretty good click when it shuts.

I'd highly recommend. Like I said, I've been using them for years on rigs that are time dependant for service intervals. The tachs on most stationary or heavy equipment have hr meters but the Tiny Tach is nice to have to keep track of service intervals.

I have one burried under the dash of my IIA.....didn't want to spoil the "look" with digitalization......

KevinNY
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I have one burried under the dash of my IIA.....didn't want to spoil the "look" with digitalization......

Stealth Bling:sly:

junkyddog11
05-02-2009, 05:38 AM
No bling, not even the steath kind. We only do "Clank" !