PDA

View Full Version : Series Paint Questions...

jrd51ox
04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I plan on having the hardtop painted for my 88" SIII.

I am hoping that someone in here can help me get an idea of what I should expect to pay. These little projects here and there are beginning to add up.

This is what I invision for the job.....
-Have the layers of paint on there stripped off
-The top painted in Limestone
-The sides & back of the hardtop painted Pastel Green

Also, do you think any auto paint shop could do this job for me?

Thanks for the help.

Rineheitzgabot
05-01-2009, 07:18 AM
If you have never held a can of spray paint in your hand, and have absolutely no idea of what it takes to paint something, AND you are restoring this to "show quality", then continue with your approach.

If you can hold a spray can in your hand and understand have even just a fundamental understanding of painting, and actually use your truck as a means of transportation, you should do this yourself. You will save lots of money, and anybody knows that putting a top-notch paint job on a series, is like polishing a turd.

Sand the existing paint until it is smooth; don't worry about "stripping it". feather the high and low spots, prime, then paint it.

The only tricky part is matching the exact color of pastel green. The Limestone can be substituted with a can of Krylon (I believe I have heard people on this forum call it "almond"). And since the Limestone is not located adjacent to another location that has the Limestone color on it, matching is not an issue. However, the Pastel Green is adjacent to the rest of the vehicle, so it is critical that the colors match. You can use the original paint code, but odds are, if the moon and the stars aren't aligned just right, the color won't match. This is why I would take it to the closest autobody paint shop (Sherwyn Williams, Dupont, etc.), and have the color matched, and see if they will fill it in a couple of rattle cans for you. This is very expensive, but eliminates the need for tools and know-how. When I say expensive, I mean about $30/can, but still way cheaper than the alternatives. Hope this isn't just a bunch of rambling.

Good luck.
-Gary

Firemanshort
05-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I have used Rustoleum spray cans with a qualified good Land Rover qualilty result - if you know what I mean.

jrd51ox
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the help, Some good infomation Gary. I'll keep that all in mind as I move forward on this project and post some pictures as well.

Mammouth4x4
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
The Paintman does all the shows in the UK

His website is GREAT for getting paint names / ideas for models though

http://www.paintman.co.uk/paint-colour-chart-series-1.html