PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine option for my 88

Crash
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Had a look at a diesel engine the other day. I did not think to write the serial number down to see how old it might be however I will be back over the weekend. I am looking at it for a 65ish 88" truck. I gather they are not quite as fast down the hwy with a diesel compared to the petrol engine. Is this really much of a concern??

I understand the 2.25 diesel is based on the petrol block so I assume some of the parts must be common ie water pump etc. It appears that parts are available through RN. IS it really worth the effort to replace my worn out engine with this diesel. I had originally planned on rebuilding the petrol engine unitil this popped up. The diesel has a relatively new head but the rest is of unknown wear and tear. I was told that it had been runnng until it was pulled from a vehicle being scrapped.

Am I going to run into any unusual challenges in putting this in my chassis ie electrical etc?

Any thoughts?

SafeAirOne
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
What are your expectations and goals in installing a diesel in your 88? I love the 2.5 diesel in my 109, but diesels can be great at some things but stink at others.

Pros:

-Rover 4-cyl diesels are ALMOST as painless a conversion as you can get

-Slight-to-moderate improvement in fuel economy

-Extremely reliable and trouble-free engine w/only routine preventative maintenance

-Diesel engines have great longevity

-Once started, diesel engines require extremely little or no electricity to keep running, depending on which type of fuel shutoff valve is installed.

-No coil, points, condensor, plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, carburettor jets, float, etc to fail/clog/stick/wear/crack or get wet.

Cons:

-Low horsepower compared to similar displacement petrol engines

-Not so great torque

-Fuel somehow costs the same or more than the most premium gasoline out there

-Some parts are harder to source or more expensive than their petrol counterparts, though I haven't found a part that was unobtainable yet.

-Depending on engine wear, the diesel can be harder to start in the winter. On the other hand, vapor lock is never an issue!

-2.25 and 2.5NA diesels have NEVER been described as "peppy" by anyone...ever.

-Diesels are so much louder than their petrol counterparts. Get rid of your radio--you won't need that anymore!

-Diesels vibrate a lot at all speeds but especially at idle. Make sure everything is tightened or it'll vibrate off.

I'm sure there are other pros and cons, but you've got to make sure your needs and expectations will be met with a diesel. In other words, don't fit a diesel and expect to go drag racing with it.

yorker
05-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Con: 2.25's have been known to drop their hot spots. I've never personally had this happen but have seen it happen to others.

if the price is cheap snag it, otherwise I think I'd be more inclined to refresh your petrol engine.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=156909

Crash
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the response!! I think I will take a chance with the diesel. The price is right and with any luck I can get it running for less than the cost of redoing the head on my 2.25.