PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about my engine refurbishment

DGG
05-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm working on my 2.25 engine, and am replacing some gaskets. The manual says to smear "general purpose grease" on the gasket surfaces. Is this still the way to do this, or has a better way come along? And do things like the fuel pump, and oil filler tube need high temp paint or not? Ok, three questions; what is the torque on the bolts for the oil filler tube plate, and the fuel pump plate? Thanks.

StX_Rovers
05-03-2009, 09:22 AM
For general gaskets, I prefer to use Hylomar blue, available from RN.

I think regular engine paint will work fine on the filler tube. The fuel pump is aluminium or similar and does not require paint, unless you are talking about the fuel pump plate.

Not sure of the torque but not very high. All those pieces have to do is not fall off. Maybe 10-15 ft-lb at most. You don't want to snap one off.

jac04
05-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Greasing gaskets is kind of old school. I use a gasket dressing as well to minimize the possibility of leaks - I used to use Hylomar, but I've switched to the red sprayable Permatex High Tack - it's so much easier to use than the stuff out of a tube.

Regular enamel spray paint is fine on the oil fill tube, you don't need to use engine paint.

DGG
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks! I have Hylomar already, so maybe I'll use that. And I'll head to Ace Hardware for some Rustoleum.

greenmeanie
05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I've never actually bothered to look at the bolt head to determine the bolt grade so it is safest to assume grade 5. In that case 5/16 should be about 19 ftlbs and 3/8 33 ftlbs. If you can read the bolt head and determine grade you can go up to about 29ftlbs and 47 ftlbs respectively for grade 8.

Another alternative to is 'The Right Stuff' silicone gasket maker. Make sure both surfaces are very clean and apply direct without a gasket. With these types on sealer it pays to be sparing with application so you don't block off any galleries inside the engine.