PDA

View Full Version : Rover is Shedding

Bostonian1976
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
My paint is quickly fading away. Offhand does anyone know if this is true limestone? If so I'll just respray it. It seems to be a yellower (?) color though. I had shoulder surgery recently so I literally can't move the thing into a more protected spot...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3498543832_1b7fdb85af_o.jpg

Jeff Aronson
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
It does look like the original limestone. The lighter shade might be a result of fading over the decades.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Jeff

Bostonian1976
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
It does look like the original limestone. The lighter shade might be a result of fading over the decades.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Jeff

thanks Jeff. it's just the rear door and front fender that are cracking and peeling so I'm hoping I can do the respray and be good. probably not that easy...

this was a respray from the past owner so I think it's only 10-15 yrs old...the cold weather seems to have quickly killed it..

lrdukdog
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Did you spill any syrup on that paint?:) Looks like Rover sunfaded sandstone to me,
Jim Wolf

Jim-ME
05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Make sure you use an etch primer and the paint will stick better.
Jim

KingSlug
05-03-2009, 08:31 PM
The paint is also chipping off my ambulance, and under the several coats of squaddie green/tan/white is the most perfect bronze green. Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.

Jasred

SafeAirOne
05-03-2009, 09:15 PM
The paint is also chipping off my ambulance, and under the several coats of squaddie green/tan/white is the most perfect bronze green. Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.

Sounds like all you need is time and patience and it'll do it by itself!:D

Terrys
05-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Your roof and side window panel look like limestone, but I agree with you; the tub and rear door do look like they are too yellow.

jac04
05-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think I may have found your answer. I started stripping the paint on my Lightweight. A guy at work gave me a bottle of CitriStrip. It takes off everything BUT the factory applied paint! One application lifted all the military-applied paint.
Now I just have to decide if I should leave the factory paint as a base for my re-spray or use Aircraft Paint Stripper to get down to bare metal. I'm thinking the best approach is bare metal, etch primer, then CARC substitute flat tan.

SeriesShorty
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
That paint sure does look just like the Rustoleum Almond gloss in a rattle can that I'm painting mine with.

Oh yeah, the citrus stripper works great at removing the built up layers of paint and leaving the original bronze in tact. Just don't use a metal scraper to be sure you aren't scoring too far down. I used a plastic scraper gently and a power washer to get down to good solid original paint on mine. Good luck!

Bostonian1976
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
That paint sure does look just like the Rustoleum Almond gloss in a rattle can that I'm painting mine with.

Oh yeah, the citrus stripper works great at removing the built up layers of paint and leaving the original bronze in tact. Just don't use a metal scraper to be sure you aren't scoring too far down. I used a plastic scraper gently and a power washer to get down to good solid original paint on mine. Good luck!

that would be convenient. Is the almond a little more yellow than the LR limestone?

jac04
05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Is the almond a little more yellow than the LR limestone?
The Rustoleum almond is almost exactly the same color as Tru-Test X-O Rust Almond. The wheels on the '63 that I restored were painted with the Tru-test Almond. I chose it because I wanted a color that was a little more tan than the Limestone:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_0602.jpg

TedW
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Very nice.

Bostonian1976
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
The Rustoleum almond is almost exactly the same color as Tru-Test X-O Rust Almond. The wheels on the '63 that I restored were painted with the Tru-test Almond. I chose it because I wanted a color that was a little more tan than the Limestone:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_0602.jpg

there ya go - that's my color. thank you!!!

yorker
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Jasred

You and me both Jared! under about 12 layers of army camo I have beautiful bronze green on my 109. I've often thought the same thing- if I could only get it off and down to the first layer it would be great!:thumb-up:

SeriesShorty
05-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Here is what my Rustoleum Almond looks like to compare with the Tru-Test Almond.