PDA

View Full Version : Prepping the cylinder block surface for cylinder head install.

DGG
05-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Before I install the cylinder head on the block, how should I prep the surface of the cylinder block? Should I just clean it, and how, or should I sand it with fine paper?

greenmeanie
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Do not sand it. Clean it to as near perfection as you can using your favourite potion. If you have any raised marks due to minor abuse remove them gently with a flat file.

thixon
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Awe, just bolt it on, it'll be fine.:D

First, protect the cylinders by covering/putting paper towels in them, or whatever tickles your fancy. Get youself a razor scraper, and use it to remove any of the big stuff left from the old gasket. Go slow, and take your time. Some people will tell you to use a putty knife. I don't because the opportunity to put a big scratch in the block surface is possible. Next, use a good solvent to really clean things up. Lacquer thinner, brake clean or something that evaporates without a film is best. I know people who are **** enough to use car polish at the end to really shine things up. I have never done this, and never will.

Using a pad, or sand paper is an option. I'd be lying if I said I'd never done it, just be aware that you could ruin the mating surface if you over did it with either, so I won't recommend it to you.

Hope this helps.

Firemanshort
05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I have heard that a good buff with steel wool is not a bad idea - naturally all the cylinder protection ideas stated above.

Of I used sand paper - it would have to be 400grit or something like that - and use a block or something else like that....