PDA

View Full Version : Yay! Found the problem!! Crap!! Now I have to fix it!

LaneRover
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I just did my first compression test ever and seeing as Cylinder 1 and 2 are at 130 and 125 but then cylinders 3+4 are around 30 I am guessing that I have a wee little hole in the head gasket between those cylinders 3+4. Guess I'll be looking up all the threads on cylinder head replacement (there is a nice recent one), potentially looking at for a machine shop, buying parts and so on. Now the question is . . . do I go for a 8:1? hhhhmmmmm.

Also after Jeff's comments about his mechanical experience, and doing the job I figure that I might as well give it a try too! Though I have done lots of work on my Rover I have never delved too deeply into engines and transmissions. Since the actors still haven't signed a contract and I am just sitting around and working on the 'honey-do' list I might as well give it a try!

Brent

PS - I guess that knocking sound on acceleration was not a timing issue. . .

Jeff Aronson
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Brent, if I've done it you can do it. I made life easier for myself by buying a rebuilt head from Rovers North. The cylinder head bolts were in good shape. Gasket remover spray and a scraper let me clean off the top of the block and get everything good and clean for the new head gasket and the head itself.

It took me 6 hours or so to remove everything and the adjust the valves at the end. I also took the time to replace the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, too.

Good luck!

Jeff

thixon
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Brent,

Replacing a head is not a big deal, so don't start worrying. If your old head is rebuildable, any good machine shop can do the work and will even order the parts they need for you (from RN or course), and then include that in the price of the rebuild. Having the head done is not that expensive, I think I paid $275 for the last one I had done.

That being said, your problem may be something other than the head gasket, so yank that sucker and report back what you find so we can help.:D

Good Luck

LaneRover
05-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I am pretty sure that it is the head gasket as once I got to cylinder 3 you could hear the air coming out of cylinder 4 (no sparkplugs in whatsoever) and when I tested cylinder 4 you could hear the air coming out of cylinder 3. With 1+2 there was no noise.

Do you guys think pull first before ordering parts? It is not a daily driver right now so it can sit. That way I can determine what is needed and not get stuff I don't need.

Once I have the head off, is there a way to tell of the exhaust valves are stellite? If the head needs rebuilding at all I will rebuild it while it at the same time.

Brent

4flattires
05-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Since this is not a daily driver, pull the parts and assemble your parts list while you go. Order it once, and sit back and wait for the parts. It's an easy and straightforward repair.

Jeff

Tim Smith
05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
The only thing to remember if you are going to pull it and then order the parts is, where you put all those nuts and bolts. :D

If you don't have a head gasket handy, you might think about ordering that now because you know you'll need it. Of course shipping will bump up if you have to order anything else in a second go so it's up to you.

I just did mine a few weeks ago and opted to pull the head with the manifolds in place. I did that simply because the bolts holding the manifolds looked pretty poor and I wasn't in the mood to snap more bolts that I needed. You may want to start adding the penetrating oil now.

Once you pull the head, post some pictures and we'll see whatcha got and advise.

StX_Rovers
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Not to be doom and gloom but before ordering anything but after getting the head off have the head inspected carefully for any cracks!!!!!!!!!!

If the head is cracked, then a rebuilt one is a good option.

If not cracked, then disassemble, get the machine shop to tell you what is needed and follow advice as before. You should be able to tell if hardened seats have been installed in the exhaust, you will see the line around the exhaust valve seat. Certainly a good machine shop will be able to tell you if the seats have been replaced. If the shop cannot tell you, run, don't walk away and find another machine shop.