PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed....

jrd51ox
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Since I started looking for a Series I have been obsessed with the interior of the Series IIA from Roverhaul........ http://www.roverhaul.com/galleries/finishedshots?page=4 (http://www.roverhaul.com/galleries/finishedshots?page=4)

The 5 Bar Chequer Plating looks awesome against the pastel green.

I found out that a friend of my fathers is a very experience welder and has done a lot of custom chequer plating work. He loves my Series III and wants to do the front & back floors for me (basically I just need to pay him for the materials).

He also suggests that he could fabricate a replica gear box tunnel cover in the same 5 bar chequer plating. And also incorporate some original parts like the shift boot, rubber plugs & 4 Wheel Rod cover plate.

So my question is...do you think that this is too much? Does it take away too much from the original rover look?

Thank You.

Jeremy

leafsprung
05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
do you think that this is too much? Does it take away too much from the original rover look?

Unless you have a reason for doing it beyond looking flashy I'd say skip it. Spend your money on something useful/functional (tires, bumper, winch, locker, soft top, cage, sliders, stronger axle, trailer, Roof top tent, disc/power brakes, overdrive, PTO, sliders etc etc) Or in your neck of the woods: galvanizing. The coolest trucks generally are the scruffy ones people are too busy driving/using to worry about the fluffy stuff.

jrd51ox
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Damn...thanks a lot for reiterating that little voice of reason in the back of my head.

Jeff Aronson
05-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Personal taste - that's way too much chequerplating! And where do you think the dirt and grease reside after you've tracked them into the Rover? With a flat floor you can take a hose to it and clean it up. I'd guess it's harder with the chequerplate.

Great advice above - there's lots of better ways to enhance the Rover experience.

Jeff

SafeAirOne
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
And, just to offer a contrary opinion--It's your rover, do what you want to it. The only time other people's opinion really count is when you're trying to sell the truck. If you want to diamond plate entire body, then go for it.

There's not a whole lot of fabricating involved with putting flat aluminum on flat floors. Even the shifter hump is essentially a flat piece of aluminum bent up. And all those things can be removed and the original pieces reinstalled if you fabricate carefully and save the old parts.

Eric W S
05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Checker plate is checker plate. Fugly on a Rover.

Linus Tremaine
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I expect that it would also be very difficult to find any 5 bar checker plate in the states.

You wouldnt want to put american checker plate in a british car right!?!

A friend of mine is in a business that uses checker plate. He gave me some scrap 5 bar and told me he had to import it from europe.

dont know how true that is- just something to investigate.

jrd51ox
07-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I ended up just doing the front floor pates & replaced the old gear box tunnel cover.

lrdukdog
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
I like the look of the 5-bar, would really like to have a pair of wing top protectors. I agree that you can use too much and then it looks gaudy.
Jim Wolf

jrd51ox
07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey Jim, I agree. And I just bought wing top protectors from our host. To my surprise they are a duller aluminum finish called ANODISED. It looks awesome. Especially for the front wings, less sun glare while driving.

Not to mention, the anodised finish is a closer resemblance to the galvanized exterior parts. Only negative, I now need to replace my rear wing protectors to match the front.