PDA

View Full Version : Landy Leans to the right

nate6472
05-12-2009, 10:34 AM
My 82 SIII is a RHD and leans to that side. I have replaced the shocks all around and the springs on the RHD side and it still leans 5 degrees. The new springs are 3x thicker than the originals. Any suggestions?

LaneRover
05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
They may be 3X thicker but do they have an arc that is less than the originals?

You may be able to get the arc changed at a local brake shop.

Brent

You don't happen to have lots and lots of tools and fullgascans on the right side of the vehicle? :-P

scott
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
my theory. your rhd leans right, my lhd series and lhd spit lean left. the right turns of a lhd are sharper than the left hand turns, the sharper turns put greater force on the out board side, add to this that there is always 150 to 250 lbs in the driver seat. the suspension of the driver's side just works harder, wears out faster. or it could be the the rhd are more conservative than the lhd liberals

nate6472
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
The new parts were Britpart, so I assume the arch is correct. It did sit level for several weeks, but when I brought it back after a short run last night it was 5 degrees off and this AM also. There is a piece which afixes the back of each leaf spring to the frame. I wonder if a taller one of these would help (if even available).

vkjar
05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
It did sit level for several weeks, but when I brought it back after a short run last night it was 5 degrees off and this AM also.

I would re-check everything and make sure all is tight and nothing has shifted since you installed them.

I assume you are talking about the shackles which attach the string the the frame? having miss matched shackles would not be a good thing.

vkjar
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
TeriAnn has something on this on her website http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/spring_rates.htm
check it out

Eric W S
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
The new parts were Britpart, so I assume the arch is correct. It did sit level for several weeks, but when I brought it back after a short run last night it was 5 degrees off and this AM also. There is a piece which afixes the back of each leaf spring to the frame. I wonder if a taller one of these would help (if even available).

Brit parts can be hit or miss. Could be that the springs were crap and have flattened out. That's what it sounds like to me. Proper springs made of spring steel should have settled unless you installed them incorrectly.

LaneRover
05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
When did you tighten the springs after replacing them?

If you tightened the bolts down before the weight of the vehicle was on the springs then that could potentially cause some of the problem.

junkyddog11
05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
put some more junk (I mean spares)n the other side of it. Foolproof solution.

I find it odd that you'd be running missmatched springs on opposing sides. Never a solid plan.

ktom300
05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I think they all lean one way or another. 88"s seem worse. Mine is an RHD and leans left. I've been trying to only fill the right side tank but I don't think it will ever be level.

nate6472
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I replaced the right side only because of the lean with the original springs (hoping to level it out). I installed them following LR's repair manual instructions. Last night I tried to adjust the shackle angle with the frame jacked up and the weight of the wheel and axle pulling down on the spring. This did not work much. I figured if I loosened everything while not jacked up, it would settle more.

LaneRover
05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
But if you tightened stuff before the weight was on the springs you can ruin the rubber bushings. I have no idea how quickly that would happen but by tightening and then lowering the rubber bushings are under constant twisting forces.

Firemanshort
05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
outside the box - have you looked at your high side? Is there a reason why that may be too high? Just spit-ballin' here....

usadventureracing
05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
My RHD drives has a slight lean to the right.