PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L Petrol Oil filters questions

TJR
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
2.25L Petrol Oil filters

I have a stock 2.25 that is getting some new life put into it.
When it comes time to re-assemble the block, I have the option to stick w/ the original LR canister style oil filter arrangment or install a Rocky mountain style "spin on" oil filter" adapter.

So the question is...

... Aside from the supposed "mess" of the LR cartridge style, Is the LR filter actually a better filter due to the seemingly larger size?

or is a NAPA Gold PH8A spin-on actually a better filter?

What's your experience?

..Talbot

gudjeon
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
It is crazy how some things come full circle. At one point, the spin on seems the way to go. Now, looking at many domestic heavy duty trucks, the canister type is back in fashion. From an environmental stance, the element filter is gaining more favour over the one in a spin on can. Land Rover ahead of its time? :rolleyes:

Personally, I like the old element type. It makes a great fire starter in the wood stove, plenty more filtration media, you can see if there is crud building up inside, and the bypass relief valve is part of the canister assembly so you know it is there and works - something that fails to work properly on some disposable spin ons.

Besides, I can buy a lot of filter elements for the price of an adapter kit. Buy a bunch when our hosts have them on sale. :thumb-up:

Availability is not an issue with a FRAM CH-834PL1 for the 4 5/8" one.

As far as mess, I drape a plastic bag over the drive shaft to keep it from dribbling all over the propshaft. I have heard of some brazing a small fitting for a drain plug onto the can.

scott
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
if ya do go w/ a spin-on READ the instal directions. i didn't, put it on 180 degrees around. did it cuz it was easier than streching the oil pressure gauge hook ups around to the port for it. it worked alright 'til i put on a filter with an anti backflow valve in it. this valve and my backassward thinking restricted oil flow and my 2.25 fried in about 7 miles. after my rebuild i stayed with the spin-on but put it on the right way

Tim Smith
05-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Scott's story is probably the worst thing you can anticipate with a spin-on. Sorry mate.

I went with the spin on and must have gotten it right. Nothing like being able to walk into a normal store and order a PH-8?, a plug washer and requisite cleaning fluids... and walk out happy with all your parts needed.

PS: Buy the fluids by the gallon if you can. I pick up 5 gallon barrels of trucker's Wolf oil and have yet to be let down.

Jeff Aronson
05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Sharing stories of oil dripping down your arm is one of the bonding rituals of Series owners. The cannister approach was beloved by British auto manufacturers; my TR-7 also has the same type of filter.

There will be plenty of other ways to spend maintenance money on your Series Rover. The spin-on option is way overrated, IMHO.

Jeff

Andrew IIA
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
For me the Spin-on adadpter is a winner; very happy with it. YMMV.

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

shortbutslow
05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd read about the Agony Of The Cannister and the Ecstasy Of The Spin-on as well, so when I did my first oil change with the cannister I was prepared for all h*ll to break loose, and.....

....it didn't. Straighforward, a few drips, no big deal. So to me it's now a non-issue and I'll spend that money somewhere else on Lucas (no shortage of opportunities).

NAPA can get you the NAPA Gold 1099 filters if they don't have them on the shelf.