PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding 24v Coil

slemoine
05-13-2009, 04:22 AM
I have been looking for a while now and have been unable to find an ignition coil for my 1975 SIII 109 FFR, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction? Thank you

teechizpet
05-13-2009, 06:08 AM
It has gotten pretty difficult to find 24 volt items in the U.S. lately and I don't suspect it will get any better. Sometimes I get lucky and find what I need. When I do have to buy from the U.K. P.A. Blanchards is a good way to go. Prices are relatively reasonable and shipping is quick. Mike M.

lrdukdog
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
check here scroll down to ignition parts.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/mil_parts.html

Jim Wolf

Mudtub
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought they were 12 volt coils

SeriesShorty
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I found Craddocks carries a lot of 24volt stuff and were very easy to deal with.

But I think Mudtub is right about them being a 12 volt coil...the ignition systems are 12 volt. The main difference being that they are shielded. At least that is the case with the FFR trucks.

SeriesShorty
05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Here is some additional info that I found on a UK site since they seem to have a lot of FFR owners over there...

"The 24V system actually uses a 10V coil fed from the filter box, it's all the radio suppression that makes this the only part of the 24V system a pain."

Note, the "filter box" they are referring to is the "voltage regulator" found on the rocker cover (however, mine is on the firewall). But it's the small-ish black box with vents cut into it.

Hope this helps...

ktom300
05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I measure 24V at my coil and I have the vented box on my valve cover.
I'm not certain it's a dropper or maybe it's a filter? If it's a dropper than I would have 12V at the coil with the key on, correct?

SeriesShorty
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I measure 24V at my coil and I have the vented box on my valve cover.
I'm not certain it's a dropper or maybe it's a filter? If it's a dropper than I would have 12V at the coil with the key on, correct?

You are correct, it is a dropper, I am confusing the terms filter and regulator and dropper. I'm still learning a lot about these 24v systems.

There is a write up here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=36030 that explains it a bit more. In post #5 it explains about a wire you are supposed to connect to the coil and how the black box does work as a dropper. Actually, the more I read that thread I think you have to do a partial conversion to 12v. So I guess the existing coil can't be used as a 12v. :(