PDA

View Full Version : New wiring harness and dash warning lights

navydevildoc
05-13-2009, 11:55 AM
OK guys, need some help from the fellow IIA owners out there.

While I am waiting for my rear axle to come back from the sand blast/powder coat shop, I have started working on a new wiring harness. I decided to create my own simply because I know I will have more stuff than a stock harness had.

The PO really did a hack job of the wiring. In fact, I am surprised the truck hasn't burned to the ground. From my best guess, it looks like he got a hold of a Series III harness and tried to use it in the IIA. There are connectors everywhere not hooked up to things, the engine compartment looks more like a rat's nest than anything.

So I have already started a new wiring diagram, and have gotten all of the supplies to make a much better custom harness, complete with fuse blocks, relays, tons of heat shrink, connectors, grommets, and braided nylon sheath for it all. In addition, I have a Rhino heat shrink labeler that I will be using to label every single connector so there is no confusion on what is what.

So... the first thing to tackle is the dash. There is plenty of scary wiring inside. But there are three indicator lamps pressed in to the dash that I am trying to figure out. One in the lower left, one in the center at the top, and a third in the lower right.

I can barely make out on one of them "OIL" which I am guessing was the oil pressure warning lamp. I have two others... one comes on as soon as I turn on the ignition and never goes out, the other one doesn't seem to do anything. Trying to decipher the wiring is a losing battle.

Can anyone go run out to their IIA and tell me what these three lights are?

Thanks!

greenmeanie
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I suppose it may have changed over the years but:
Green is oil pressure.
Red is electric charge
Blue is high beam head lights
Orange/yellow is choke.

I don't know about location as mine are all incorporated into the gauges on a late IIA.

navydevildoc
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
OK, that's good enough. The lamps are old and broken anyway, so I am going to have to hunt down some suitable replacements.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when I am comparing what's in the dash to the wiring diagram in the green bible.

Jeff Aronson
05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
On my early II-A's, the lights are the separate units seemingly pressed into the dash. Actually, they're "pop out" units that push out from the back of the dash panel.

The one on the right side is for the choke. It should attach to a connector/switch on the top front of the head; if you have a rebuilt head, that unit may not be present. It's intent is to stay on until the engine reaches a certain operating temperature, and then shut off so you know to push in the choke.

The green one gets power from the ignition switch, also, and connects to the pressure switch on the oil filter housing unit. The red one goes through the switch to light up when you turn the key, and then it goes out if the generator or alternator is functioning.

Before you throw them away, just try the bulbs. These units are quite rugged.

Jeff

scott
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
my cold start lamp (lower right) is wired to a switch monted on top of the choke knob bracket engine side of the bulkhead. it comes on when i pull the choke and i guess is there to remind me to push in the choke when i think the engine has warmed enough. the sender on my head is still there but not connected to the choke switch

navydevildoc
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Jeff,

The problem is that the tabs are broken off on the "push-thru" lamps... so they just fall out. I have a feeling they are NLA, but I will have to call our hosts to see. Otherwise I can try to fabricate something to hold them in.

thixon
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Jeff,

The problem is that the tabs are broken off on the "push-thru" lamps... so they just fall out. I have a feeling they are NLA, but I will have to call our hosts to see. Otherwise I can try to fabricate something to hold them in.

Wrap them with electrical tape to increase the circumference enough for a tight fit.

navydevildoc
05-24-2009, 01:05 PM
OK, so this weekend I am hoping to have this all sorted.

I am down to this last sender on the engine. From what Jeff said it sounds like the "cold engine" sender. The oil pressure sender looks like it is right where it should be, on the oil filter adapter (I have a spin-on filter installed by PO).

I have attached a picture, I would just like someone to sanity check me. You can see the sender in several illustrations in the Green Bible, but not one has a letter and a description for it.

So anyway, if someone could confirm that this is fact the "cold mixture" sender, I would appreciate it!

jac04
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
^^Yes, that's it.