PDA

View Full Version : 88 Range Rover won't start

sizod
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

Well this morning was the coldest on record for 2 years in RI, it's currently a barmy 12?F which to this british car is -11?C. I went out this morning to start and warm the beast (the 88 doesn't have seat warmers). it was a very sluggish crank, which final led to a drained battery. I have one of those DieHard battery/starters which I put on and cranked the engine again, it would crank and nearly catch but then the battery drained out. I've left the battery on charge for a few hours, now I get nothing when I turn the key. I get the lights on the console lighting up the seat belt etc, but no engine cranking, its almost like its not engaging, just nothing. All the rest of the electrics work fine. It was working fine yesterday and when I parked it last night. It's my everday driver car, so today was a day off work. I need to try to get this truck started again ASAP. So if any one has any ideas please post them. Thanks.

Steve

yorker
01-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Check and clean your battery cable connections, pay particular attention to the ground leads- with a vehicle this old there could be a lot of resistance in the connections from corrosion. Take the battery out and charge it inside- someplace warm and then install it warm into the RR next time you want to start it.

sizod
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Charged the Battery, replaced all of the battery cable, and still the RR won't start. I posted a video the Range Rover trying to start (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaMicVAAix8) the most i could get was to connect a lead from the battery to the starter and get it to make a single clicking noise. Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

nosxih
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
My 91 RR did that a few times. I secured the ecu plug to the ecu with a large zip tie and it never happened again.

yorker
01-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Charged the Battery, replaced all of the battery cable, and still the RR won't start. I posted a video the Range Rover trying to start (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaMicVAAix8) the most i could get was to connect a lead from the battery to the starter and get it to make a single clicking noise. Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

If you ran a hot cable directly to the starter it should turn over. Your starter may have been on the way out and the extra work of the cold weather, thickened oil etc finished it off. Cold weather often exposes shortcomings-that may have otherwise been marginal yet remained functional in warmer temps.

sizod
01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Just installed a new battery, but it made no difference, I guess its the starter orthough it feels like it might be somehting else. there is no electric dimmingwhen the key is turned, minor drop in voltage. is there a neutral safety switch or inhibitor that could have got shorted out?

Ed*
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
i dont know if this is the same on your year but when i had this problem with my 95 classic it was the brake switch, a liitle pressure switch on the arm of the brake pedal. it wasnt working so eventhough i had my foot on the break the range thought i didnt

tiger
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
If you ran a hot cable directly to the starter it should turn over. Your starter may have been on the way out and the extra work of the cold weather, thickened oil etc finished it off. Cold weather often exposes shortcomings-that may have otherwise been marginal yet remained functional in warmer temps.

I think he hit the nail on the head. The starter died with the extra strain of the cold.
I got a new starter from this place called Eagle Electric in California, it was only $165 including NEXT DAY shipping, and it works great. Very pleased with the service and price. You need a metric 8mm allen socket and a long extension bar to change it, though.