PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a problem like this?

thixon
05-14-2009, 09:10 AM
109 Pretender made a comment in the "Found One" post about how he's accumulated a ton of tools over the years from working on cars.

This got me laughing about a pledge I was asked to make recently to the captain of my household...my wife Allison.

What Allison has noticed is that I have a bad habbit of forgetting about tools I have, and re-buying them. This results in my owning two or three impact wrenches, or five of the same gear pullers, etc. Her favorite is when I find a "specialty" tool, and I can't remember what it does, and don't remember buying it. Recently, I found a dissasembled triumph motorcycle in three differenct boxes that I'd forgotten I had. The funniest part is that we moved three years ago. Yeah, Allison didnt think it was so funny.

At any rate, the pledge I have made is that I will no longer go to harbor frieght/sears/paint shop/etc. unless I have a list of what I plan to buy. Before I make said list, I must check to make sure I don't already have what I think I need from hargorfreight/sears/paint shop/etc. I am banned from "ordering" things from internet supply houses. Go figure.

Any of you guys have this same issue?:D

MSmyth
05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I have the same issue, only not car related. I've been building my house for the last 15 years and have lost track of lots of tools, supplies, fasteners, plumbing instruments of destruction, etc. that I've bought over the years.

I see it all as a plus. In my book you can never, ever have too many tools, just don't tell my wife.

TSR53
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
yes, it is called "Autopsycosis", we all suffer in some shape or form :sly:

Symptoms
- Minister of Finance (MoF) got you all tied up and nowhere to spend?
- Bought over nine of the same type of cars in the last eight years?
- You buy engine oil like beer?
- All you look up on the internet is parts... duh of course.
- "Honey I wish you read books" [response] "I do, they are PARTS BOOKS"
- IF you won the lottery all of the proceeds are already spoken for on tools and cars, yaa just gotta have?
- You actually LIKE the smell of gear oil...
- Take pride in being a member of the bloody knuckle club

Care to add in more, please do

greenmeanie
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
This is why my wife worries because at least a motorbike is small enough that you could lose it.. My passion is for military vehicles so if I manage to lose a 2 1/2 tonner or a Stolly in the garage even I will consider it an indication that I need to clean up. Mind you, I will need a bigger garage first.

I have no issue with multiple tools. I have three bays in the garage which means I can have three sets of tools. My wife drew the line when she discovered my plan to bring home a Bridgeport series one which I had found in reasonable nick for a good price. She decided I didn't have room for it in the garage and my comment along the lines of 'That's what the spare room is for' didn't go down well.

Another symptom.
Your wife gets upset when you refer to the dishwasher as the parts washer'

Terrys
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
In shopping for a 2nd wife, I found it was best to immediately rule out any whose father's were not also gearheads. Said candidates are already prepared for what's to come, and I never met a girl who thought her daddy had too many anythings.
No shop is complete without a B'port. Another one in the basement is nice too.

JSBriggs
05-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty good ant know what I have, and where its at. It drives ME crazy having to buy something that I know I already have and cant find.

Smyth Im not sure if your house build gives me hope of dispair. Im on year 4 of mine, and know it will be at least 1 more.

-Jeff

Tim Smith
05-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty good ant know what I have, and where its at. It drives ME crazy having to buy something that I know I already have and cant find.

Smyth Im not sure if your house build gives me hope of dispair. Im on year 4 of mine, and know it will be at least 1 more.

-JeffI spent about 5 years on mine. I've since moved in but believe me, it's no where near being done.

Don't despair. Being a renaissance man takes time. :thumb-up: