PDA

View Full Version : NDD's blond question for the day

navydevildoc
05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
So I am working to remove the existing hub bearings and seals on my rear hubs before they go off to be cleaned and powdercoated.

The inner oil seals are really being a pain. Of course the green bible just states "prise out the oil seal and withdraw the inner roller bearing".

At first I thought the oil seal was welded to the hub, that's how immovable it is.

Does anyone have any tips for removal before I just go medieval on them?

gudjeon
05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Large brass or aluminium rod and large hammer. Support outer part of the hub on some wood. Push out roller bearing and seal together. Apply appropriate removal technique form the outer part of the hub to pop it out. If its an original leather type, they are armor encased and resist being removed.:rolleyes:

navydevildoc
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
OK, brute force wins every time. Got the first one out with a large drift right on the bearing... then realized I could pry with a screwdriver by twisting it while the hub was clamped on the bench... that worked as well.

Now I am swearing at the bearing races. Slow, tedious removal.

daveb
05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
? really? I find the races usually drift out pretty easily. Obviously they need to come out fairly straight. If they get cocked inside the hub thy will get jammed in there.

Now I am swearing at the bearing races. Slow, tedious removal.

bobzinak
05-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I use a seal removal tool I got at napa, also available from JC Whitney. cost like ten bucks. its like a thin flat crow bar that prys the seal out. and it won,t bugger up the aluminum or steel. it has two sizes of claws, one for small one for large. just do a search for seal puller and youll fing what you need. bobzinak

Drain Rovers2
05-22-2009, 12:10 PM
take a long screw driver, attach a vise grip and twist (with the vise grips so head of screw driver partially turns) evenly on all sides it will pop out garunteed.
Good Luck,