PDA

View Full Version : Locking Hubs for 24-Spline Axles?

jac04
05-16-2009, 08:57 PM
My early 80's Series III has 24-spline axles. Does anyone out there have locking hubs available for this vehicle?

leafsprung
05-16-2009, 09:05 PM
late series threes have 24 spline outers. Just swap em to ten spline outers. There is not difference in strength because the inners are still 10. Most of the good free wheel hubs are more readily available in 10 spline. There are some 24 spline hubs (superwinch, MAP, AVM) but they are either hard to find or not so hot in the quality dept.

Mercedesrover
05-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Mile Marker and Superwinch are the only ones real available in the US right now. Don't waste your time with the Superwinch ones unless you're running grease in the front swivels. They leak horribly.

Mile Marker used to make the "Selecto Classic" for the 24-spline Rover but discontinued it sometime in the past year. They still offer the "Supreme" style hub in 24 of which I have a pair on order. They should be next week. I wish they still made the Selectro Classic...I have a pair on my 109 and really like them. They look the part and you can engage them with a pair of gloves on.

jac04
05-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Funny, I ordered a set of Superwinch hubs through Jeg's on-line. However, when I contacted Superwinch with a question about the hubs, they told me that they had been discontinued for some time. Jeg's claimed a 13-20 day expected ship time, which means that they don't have them in stock - so I expect them to contact me to tell me they are unavailable. My SIII has oil seals that keep the front hubs (which are greased) isolated from the oil in the swivels, so I'm not too worried about the leaks.

They guys ar Wise Owl said that they have the AVM hubs available, and RDS said that he will have some NOS Fairey hubs available in a few months. Hmm, what to do?

jac04
05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
They still offer the "Supreme" style hub in 24 of which I have a pair on order. They should be next week.
Where did you order them from?

Mercedesrover
05-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Where did you order them from?

I ordered them through a local parts store that deals with Keystone Automotive. Keystone is a pretty large aftermarket/accessory supplier on the east coast.

05-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I had the inner part of my original Selectro's broached to 24 splines by McNamara in Austrailia. I'm sure there is some one in the US that could do too. It was about $40 plus air postage at the time. I assume you could do the same with the Warn M-11s. I also like the Selectros because they are easy to operate in the cold or mud.
Regards

Mercedesrover
05-20-2009, 07:55 AM
These Mile Marker hubs just showed up. They're not as nice as the old Selectro ones but they'd do. I just hope they don't leak. The Mile Marker part number is 432 if anyone's interested.

JSBriggs
05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
These Mile Marker hubs just showed up. They're not as nice as the old Selectro ones but they'd do. I just hope they don't leak. The Mile Marker part number is 432 if anyone's interested.

Any pics?

-Jeff

jac04
05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, I just received my Superwinch 24 spline hubs from Jeg's. I can see what Mercedesrover means about them leaking - the 'cap' is held on by 6 tiny torx head screws which don't seem like they will provide a lot of clamping force to seal the gasket. The body is sealed to the front hub with an o-ring, which would be a great design if the sealing surface on hub was like new, but it's not. I'll either use a little RTV or install drive flange gaskets, or both. Either way, my hubs are greased & sealed, so I don't think there will be any leakage issues. I'll try to post some pictures of them.

JSBriggs
05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I use permatex gasket maker in place of hub/drive flange gasket. Never had one leak. http://www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingdetailpurch.asp?item=12492

-Jeff

jac04
06-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Also FYI, I just spoke to the people at Superwinch, and they advised that these hubs are manufactured in Brazil. There were no "made in" markings anywhere on the packaging, instructions, or the hubs.

I wish that there were actual installation instructions included. Anyone ever install these hubs? There us a rubber/felt seal that seems too think to be fully compressed under the castle nut.