PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L rebuild questions (components)

TJR
05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
While browsing the RN catalog and looking at parts for my OE, 1973 88 SIII, 3 main ,2.25L engine rebuild, I've got a few questions.

1.)The original oilpump seems to look like the ones pictured in the catalog, except the new ones seem to have a different pickup screen locations and brackets? Why was this changed or why was the old one obsoleted?? and is one preferred?

2.) My oilpump drive gear (also Distributor drive gear) that runs off the cam show some tooth-tooth wear..I assume this is typically replaced during and engine overhaul? BTW I am getting a new 2.25L cam.

3.) Can I assume the same is true for the pushrods? i.e. replace them...
I plan to re-use ther rocker arms, but I do plan on getting new cam followers/lifters.
Thanks again for any information... Talbot

gudjeon
05-18-2009, 09:23 PM
If push rods are straight and the ends are not battered, then they can reused. It is a good idea to check the rocker shaft for wear. This can get starved for oil and wears on the underside. It is only obvious when its disassembled. New rocker bushings can be installed and need to be honed to fit.

Keep the components in order because their combination is not obvious from the manual (rockers).:thumb-up:

TJR
05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info..
I took a better look at the rocker asembly..
There is some shaft wear, so I ordered a new shaft and rocker arm bushings.
Hopefully I can ge the new ones pressed in properly and hone or ream them to the .530 dim as the green bible inidcates.
This brings me to another question though.

The rocker shaft appears to be aligned in relation to the shaft mounts by a short bolt w/ an alignment pin extending from it. PN

There are 5 rocker-shaft mounts that bolt to the head. Each has a tapped hole at TDC. 3 of the 5 get a stud for the valve cover, 1
uses the alignment bolt, what bolt goes into the final support? The parts book doesn't call out a 5th bolt?

When I removed the alignment bolt from my rocker shaft assy, the tip was broken off? Is this common?

The other support w/o a stud for the valve cover had a panhead socket head cap screw?? It must have been incorrectly placed there
by the previous owner or owners mechanic?
I ordered (2) new alginment bolts (PN 525390) from RN but I actually think I should only have one or else they could bind against
each other?
What is the correct assembly configuration?

Oh yeah..
Before I ordered the alginment bolt... I pulled the valve cover off my parts engine to see if the bolt was there too. It was, but it too was
sheared off?? The "5th" bolt in that engine was a hex head bolt.

Pics here..

http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/RoverRebuildProject?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDbnsSfg7We1AE#

Thanks. Talbot

06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
The reason there is an extra threaded hole is because the first OHV Land Rover engines had a two part rocker shaft and each each was located by the threaded hole in the pedestal between the cover stud ones. I'm surprised that two engines had the sheared locating bolts, I haven't seen that many that had broken.
Regards
Gord'n

TJR
06-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Since... My 2.25 L engine is in the shop.. and I was looking over the parts I have that may need replacement. The dist drive gear(oil pump drive gear) that I removed from my stock 2.25L is assembled w/a bronze sleeve bushing retained by a snap ring assy. This is the assembly driven by the camshaft. It does have some tooth wear so replacement may not be a bad idea.. however the sleeve bushing seems just fine.

In my collection of various series LR engine parts, I have a what appears to be a new dist drive gear(oil pump drive gear) partial assembly generically marked ERC6105.
I'm assuming it is not genuine LR since it is not branded as such.This spare part looks like the right part, but since it does not have a bushing and no way to slide a bushing over the end it seems usable.
Is this an alternate design by LR design or just a knock off? My LR parts
catalogs show ETC6139 or ERC6105, which show the gear as not sold
separately? any ideas about this part?
Thanks,, TJR

Pic of original assy.

scott
06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Does the new one have a hole for the grub screw?

TJR
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Nope.... and the body diameter is much smaller.. I wanted to d'assy the original one to compare, but I dropped it off at the engine shop incase they needed it to set the timing. TR

scott
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Mach shop won't need it. Mine was in my garage when the machinist installed the cam, pistons, timing chain gear and a bunch of other crap

TJR
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks as though I may have ID'd my oddball drive gear part.

Seems to be a diesel engine component. If I can get a bushing for it.. Does anyone know if this is a compatible design for a petrol engine?