PDA

View Full Version : will a dual circuit master fit an early series IIA?

80inch
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Will the later dual circuit master fit a '64 series IIA? Any opinions or suggestions?

daveb
05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
yes, but you need the whole pedal tower and booster.

Will the later dual circuit master fit a '64 series IIA? Any opinions or suggestions?

greenmeanie
05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
You need the pedal and servo as stated above. Make sure you get the correct master cylinder for 88 or 109. You need to modify the hole in the bulkhead for the pedal assy to make it bigger. You'll also need to make a cut out in the wing top similar to that seen on the later trucks to clear the servo and MC. Then you get to redo the brake lines to make them dual circuit instead of single circuit. You'll probably have to replace the spash guard on that side with a later one but don't hold me to that.

Oh, then you'll need to cap one outlet on the hydraulic reservoir and find a new way of mounting it or convert to a later clutch master cyl with integral reservoir. The later master cyls are a pain to access for fluid checks.

TeriAnn
05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
If you can plumb steel brake lines and use a saw you can make this conversion. And yes the results are worthwhile. You won't get the brake boost that modern cars have but there is a very noticeable improvement of braking power for the amount of foot pressure you apply. Since you don't change the brakes the overall braking does not improve, you just don't have to stomp on the brake pedal nearly as hard to achieve what braking the stock brakes give you.

I made the conversion back in 1996 and per normal ended up writing a web page describing what I did. http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm

The easy way to deal with the wing cut out is to source a new late IIA or III wing panel. I originally cut mine out then nearly a decade later replaced the inner wing panel with a newer one just because I wanted it to look more factory like.