PDA

View Full Version : Tire size question

SixthFlick
05-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd like to increase the clearance on my '04 Disco II SE (+/- 2") using nothing but an increase in tire size. I'm currently running stock 255-55-18 on my '04 Disco II. I've read through all of the posts regarding tires, but most of them refer to 16x7 wheels (such as on the S models and not the stock 18s as on the SE and HSE. :confused:

Does anyone know the tallest (& recommended) tire than can fit on stock alloys for On/Off road use that wouldn't rub up in the wheel well or when turning? I won't be doing any rock climbing, just trail riding with some deep mud every now and then with some tree stumps along the path.

Since rear wheels don't turn is it possible to just increase the rear tire height while increasing the height of the front tires just a tad bit?

Thanks!

solihull109
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I would NOT advise running different size tires on the back or front of the truck. Very bad idea in a fulltime fourwheel drive truck(or any for that fact).:nono: I'd get a set of Goodyear MT's in the size you have and you'll be happy.

galant344
05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree having different sized tires on front and back is a huge no no for an awd vehicle. could cause problems down the road. I also just found out last week if you have a range or a sport just one different sized tire will throw the air suspension way off and cause all kinds of weird problems but no codes will be found.

SixthFlick
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I stuck with stock sizing for now, until I can find a set of used steelies. Ended up going with General Grabber AT2's for now. They're a pretty nice tire, but of course I still ended up getting stuck in about 2ft of mud the other day with them - haha. Still had a lot of fun driving around in it. My brother-in-law's been driving around in 4x4s for years and even though I got stuck once, he said he was impressed with the capability with the Discovery.

dandruka
06-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Check out www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com). What you need to do is determine the diameter of your tire. then find a size that you want. i have found on that site that you can put in your tire size (i.e. 255 55r 18) or whatever and then look at the tire details and see its diameter. On my disco 1 i junked the stocks and stuffed 245 75r 16's under there. The front rubbed a bit but after a neat trim....buttah!

SixthFlick
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Check out www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com). What you need to do is determine the diameter of your tire. then find a size that you want. i have found on that site that you can put in your tire size (i.e. 255 55r 18) or whatever and then look at the tire details and see its diameter. On my disco 1 i junked the stocks and stuffed 245 75r 16's under there. The front rubbed a bit but after a neat trim....buttah!
Yes. I've known about tirerack.com for years, but that doesn't answer my question from actual enthusiasts and owners as to what the largest tire is that can be placed on the disco without rubbing (or without requiring trimming the body panels). TireRack.com, for the most part, merely gives the Manufacturer's recommended tire size (stock) and maybe 1 or 2 alternate sizes for winter driving, nothing more.

FairfaxCounty
12-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Going back to the original question asked, what *is* the tallest tire you can use on the 18" rims? I have 255/55/18s now but would like something a bit taller and less wide.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

roven
01-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I've got a 2001 d2 with 265/60 18 Yokahama Geolander A/T-S on it and didn't rub before my lift with omehd's and will go to 32 this spring. The yoko's are great and are 30.5"x10.5.