PDA

View Full Version : new series 2a questions

glbft1
05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Greetings,
I have just bought a series 2a 109 and it seems very good but want to install some upgrades mainly ingition and carb what has worked for you and what would you recommend any help would be great looking foward to using the rig!!
thanks

Jeff Aronson
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
If you just bought the car, it's too soon to think of "upgrades" because you really don't know what it needs. Drive it for a while before you start a list like this.

Find out what carb you have on the car - Zenith, Weber, Solex? Each has its strengths and weaknesses, depending upon condition.

Changing from a points distributor to another type is a matter of preference. If you don't mind some maintenance, a points distributor will be fine for daily use. If an electronic distributor, like a Petronix, fails, then the car is dead until you replace it. When the points wear out, you replace them and drive away.

BTW, if you really don't like maintenance work, then a II-A 109" may not be the right car for you :).

Enjoy the car first, drive it and use it, and then share your list of "shortcomings" that might benefit from "upgrades" with this Forum. Everyone here will want to help.

Congratulations!

Jeff

scott
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
i put in a petronix drop in, if it fails i'll just yank it out put the points , cndeser and rotor back in. but my 1st upgrade was parabolic springs

glbft1
05-23-2009, 06:03 AM
it has a zenith carb and points it is a ex-nato 109 2a late series just want to be on top of things that could cause problems, we will go out to vinalhaven and show you the rig jeff and will bring some kind beer!:thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
05-23-2009, 06:40 AM
There's a "sticky" here on the Forum that details the longer-term issues that come with the Zenith carb, but there's no need to swap out right away. I admit to be partial to points distributors, but that's just my bias.

Paraolic springs are nice - they require longer shocks, too - and I'm glad I have them on one 88." The other still has the original leaf springs and the car rides a bit rougher, but it's a Land Rover :).

109"'s need a load in them to fully articulate in the rear, particularly if you have the heavy duty springs that were often standard on the military 109's. They're meant to carry a load, and without one, they're less compliant off road.

I would hold to my original recommendation of using the car and cataloguing its issues first, and then sharing them on this Forum. Then you can make more informed decisions as to upgrades and/or refurbishments you want to perform.

Board the ferry and make the trip to Vinalhaven anytime! There's only 4 Series Land Rovers on the island, and two are mine, so I'm always looking for company.

Jeff