PDA

View Full Version : Me or the Brakes?

GeoffWillis
05-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Lost my brakes today in traffic and was wondering if its me, or a problem with the truck. I usually engine brake, and use the binders minimally except today. I pumped the brakes as opposed to steady braking, and on the third pump, all power assist was gone, very minimal braking power, but peddle didn't go to floor. Its a 2.5 n/a diesel and I wonder if that's too much for the vacuum pump? Am I driving it "Wrong" when I pumped them, or is there a potential mechanical issue I should be aware of? There is plenty of fluid, no obvious leaks at Master or wheel cylinders. Thanks in advance.
Geoff
Oh, and the new Badger Top is AWESOME!

Terrys
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
This is not the first time I have heard this complaint, and while I'm not familiar with the 2.5NA Vacuum pump, I have heard, or, recall hearing someone say they put in an accumulator, Teed off the line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. When you are at an engine idle speed, a worn pump will not produce what it will when rev'd up.
The old Jag sedans used a small steel vacuum tank, and there are accumulators that look like and egg carton. I suppose if you want to keep it stock, you had better look into a rebuild kit for the pump. It's not the sort of thing the regular stateside suppliers would stock, but Blanchards, in the UK ought to be able to help you.

GeoffWillis
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
This is not the first time I have heard this complaint, and while I'm not familiar with the 2.5NA Vacuum pump, I have heard, or, recall hearing someone say they put in an accumulator, Teed off the line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. When you are at an engine idle speed, a worn pump will not produce what it will when rev'd up.
The old Jag sedans used a small steel vacuum tank, and there are accumulators that look like and egg carton. I suppose if you want to keep it stock, you had better look into a rebuild kit for the pump. It's not the sort of thing the regular stateside suppliers would stock, but Blanchards, in the UK ought to be able to help you.
Thanks, thats kinda what I thought. I remember my old VW Jetta diesel (1982) had the egg carton type of accumulator for all the dashboard switches (Heat/Vent/AC), but I never had an issues with the brakes. I guess the accumulator for the rover is smaller. I guess I just need to modify my braking style to be steady vice pumping.