PDA

View Full Version : proper shifting of series 2a 109

glbft1
05-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Just picked up my new ride:thumb-up: but need advice on shifting, what is double declutching first and second are not engaging right because of me I am double pumping and trying to shift I assume not the proper techinique, other than that it rocks has a santana overdrive and am in love with the new ride!!
Thanks
Greg

lrdukdog
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
It's easy even my wife (SWMBO) learned to do it.
1-put in 1st gear
2- when shifting into 2nd after pushing down the clutch "bump" the
accelerator quickly..and continue into 2nd..
Just practice until you hit the right amount of accelerator to make a smooth shift.
You can use it into 3rd as well.
Jim Wolf

Tim Smith
05-25-2009, 01:50 AM
^^^Isn't that power shifting? :confused:

Here is my procedure for the older 2A.

Run first gear up to speed.
Push clutch in and disengage 1st.
Place shifter in neutral and let clutch out.
Push clutch in again and slip shifter unto 2nd.
3rd and 4th should have syncro's so this isn't necessary when climbing further up the gearsIt's all about getting the main gear cluster up to or down to the speed of the secondary cluster. So with that in mind, on step three you should add a blip of throttle when down shifting from 3rd into second.

If you are new to all this then give yourself time to get it right. After not too long you should pick up what engine speed you need for shift you are looking for.

glbft1
05-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks I am going on a shakedown ride today!

Terrys
05-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Jim, you're missing the key element, that you need to get the gear cluster to match the engine speed. As you're passing from 1st to 2nd, as Tim says, you need to let the clutch up to get the cluster rotating so that you're not trying to engage a spinning gear with one which is standing still.

TeriAnn
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Since one of my hobbies seems to be writing web pages, I wrote a how to double clutch web page

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_clutch.htm

Hopefully you might find this of use.

G.G. Sprock
05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Okay, this comes from a heavy equipment / over-the-road truck driver. I only use the clutch for first and reverse on the road. After that, my foot never comes off the floor. Now this will only work when you are not feathering like you need to when offroad, but as example, the clutch slave in our old Volvo diesel wagon went out and we drove it around for six months without any clutch at all.

Bring the vehicle up to speed in whatever gear and let off the fuel. At the same time, bring a little pressure to the shifter to knock it into neutral.

Tap the fuel to slightly faster than what you would need were you in the next gear and put gentle pressure on the shifter. When the engine comes down from the over speed, it will drop right into gear - no clutch at all. The trick here is to immdiately and gently add fuel the instant it does fall into gear to keep from lashing the drive train.

You can go up or down with the same tactics with not all that much effort. Give it some practice in a large parking lot from 3 - 4 - 3 etc. The higher gears are easier to work this trick, but is is fine for all.

Same thing will work with the overdrive if your truck is so equipped, by the way.

adkrover
05-25-2009, 09:31 PM
It's true. I blew a clutch on a Datsun B210 wagon and drove it 5 miles across downtown Knoxville without a clutch. You have to start it in gear at a stop light however. makes for fun Bumpin'.

Momo
05-26-2009, 02:49 AM
I routinely drive my series rigs without using the clutch pedal thru third and fourth gear. Generally speaking, shift into 3rd at 30 mph and 4th at 40 mph.
On a series you don't have to blip the throttle- just get it a bit over the target speed, let off the throttle, gently pull on the shifter and it will pop out of gear, then as the rpms begin to drop, push the shifter toward the next gear and it will suck into that gear. You will quickly get the feel for it and your left leg will be less sore around town.

As far as double clutching, I rarely use first gear on the road (really just a granny gear) so it's not an issue except on hill starts...but when I do double clutch I usually just depress, go to neutral, let off the pedal, depress again, and shift into 2nd. Blipping the throttle is, again, fairly optional but each truck has its quirks...