PDA

View Full Version : raiko bush for top swivel pin REMOVAL?

Cosmic88
05-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Also looking for the best / proper way to remove the bush for the pin on the top of the swivel ball??? It this a two piece assembly?

I ask this because the ball itself has a recess and a lip on the inside portion of the ball and the taper of the bush sits on the outside... ?

jac04
05-25-2009, 06:56 AM
I just did this job. I placed the swivel ball on wood blocks with the Railco bush facing down. I then used a long drift to reach through the center of the opposite bearing race and I drifted the bushing out with a hammer.

Cosmic88
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Either I need to jack up up daily intake of Wheaties! or it's stuck or I am missing something. I have been pounding on it to the point where I think it is overkill.

I have soaked it in PB, made my own special little 'pounding base' from a 2x4 with a hole large enough to allow the bush to pass through with plenty of room and I beat on it like I would only treat a Jeep.

This bush won't budge.... and yes I am passing the steel drift (1" dia.) through from one side to the other in order to "press" the bush out.

jac04
05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Wow, interesting. I was ready for a fight with mine, but they drifted out without any issues.
I guess you could take it to a shop and have it pressed out - just make sure they don't damage the swivel ball.

daveb
05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
PB won't do jack in this situation, the bushings are an interference fit i.e there is really no space between them for the PB penetrate into.

I suggest you get yourself a MAPP torch and heat the area up a bit. Then try drifting it out. I've done this many times, it helps to jack the axle up and put it on a jackstand so you have a bit more room to swing your BFH. Which btw you should be using at least a 4-5 hammer...

Cosmic88
05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
going to go the heat / torch route this weekend. The ball is actually off so a full swing is not a problem and I am using a 5lb. shot filled (dead blow) hammer....I'm sure the heat will work... thanks for the input.

I just didn't think it would be so stuck.