PDA

View Full Version : sucking oil out the dipstick tube?

Ed*
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Ok so I feel like this is maybe a stupid question but heck I'm gonna ask any ways. I live in an apartment and dont have much space to work on the rover. Anyways I always make a mess with the oil change and I hate transporting the oil in those messy catch pan containers.

I saw in an airline magazine a siphon type machine that sucked the oil out the dip stick tube and they said it was how the benz dealers do it.

Is this just some gimmicy product or would it be a good alternative to draining the oil out the bottom. Or do I just need to learn how to be less messy with my oil changes.

Thanks

Joey4420
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Will it work yes... but if there is any build up in the oil pan you will never get it out.

My recommendation would be to drop the oil pan at least once to make sure it is clean and happy before the dip stick method.

kevin-ct
05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
If you own a boat you would have one of these. However, You cant get all the oil out of the oil pan.

Terrys
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
As Kevin says, most marine houses sell a hand pump for doing oil changes on inboard. It's a little brass pump with an assortment of tubes and it's almost always eerybit as messy as doing it from beneath a car. Go to one of the cheap auto chain stores and buy one of the drain pans that has a spout to pour it back into you empty oil bottles. Then put the empties in your neighbors trash. Or, go to jiffy lube (I shudder at the thought)

Ed*
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
here in Massachusetts if you take your used oil back to the place you got the replacement oil with the reciept they dispose of it properly for you.

Or if you get it at Target they have a deal with the oil change place and the oil change place (i think it might be jiffy lube) takes the old oil