PDA

View Full Version : heater upgrades 2a 109

glbft1
05-27-2009, 03:51 PM
looking to get more heat, or upgrade anything on the market that isnt a grand??:confused: or anyone cobbled a heater from something else and had it work?
Thanks for all the great feedback !
Regards

bpj911
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know much about Rovers yet but Maradyne and RedDot make great heaters. I have one in my M37 and they come in 12 and 24 volt. I think they are 20K BTU and compact.

BGGB
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
i don't know how easy it would be on a rover, but if you could route the intake inside it would take already warm air and heat it instead of cold air. it wouldn't be fresh and you wouldn't have a force fed system but just a thought

gudjeon
05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
I put this unit in my ser1. Fabricated a manifold with flaps and plumbed in a ball valve for control. Twin squirrel cage fans and 3 speeds. Rated at 25,000 BTU's. Bought it from Princess Auto (agri./industrial supplier) for around $200 CAN. I can drive with my window open no matter what the weather.:thumb-up:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/RoverPics05024.jpg

bobzinak
05-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I live in Fairbanks Alaska. When I first moved here my first winter when iot got to 45 below zero the heater in my 71 slla was more than pathetic. at any temp below zero you would freeze your swivel balls off... I tried many things blocking off the front from the back with card board. with full defrost I got a clear spot just above the defroster vent about the size of a postcard. you could not drive and see any thing. plus it was really hard to drive and scrap ice of the inside of the wind shield with an ice scraper. my first upgrade came with a bigger heater motor (faster rpms) with a four inch output. My heater is a series 3 type with the heater core on the outside of the bulkhead. I removed the three inch input tube from the heater and made a new one out of some sheet metal and epoxyed it to the core cover. this made a big difference. but still mot enough at sub-zero temps. at least you coud feel the air move. secondly, I bought a wrecked rover that had the heater core inside. ( the kind with two flaps and defrost hoses comming out off the top.) I istalled that so now the air coming in goes through both heater cores. that was the best thing. I can now keep warm at any outside temp..even to the point of opening the window a bit at twenty below zero..and no driving with gloves when the interior warms up... also a few years ago installed seat heaters for both passenger and driver..try the upgrade to your fan first. you can adapt just about any 1/4 inch drive motor to the landrover fan unit. ones from air conditioned cars run faster than non-air conditioned ones. remember that the faster the air moves through the core the less time the air has to heat up..also blocking off the radiator will help alot..hope this helps..bobzinak

ScottT
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3571328955_ed48c00789_o.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3571328955_ed48c00789_o.jpg)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3571328911_2ba95f11bb_o.jpg

I picked the heater up from JC Whitney and ran coolant hose under the bulkhead to and from the unit, using a secondhand middle seat panel. It worked great except at 45 mph or more.

glbft1
05-28-2009, 07:29 AM
found a danhard dash mount at jc whitney that will produce 28,000 btu at high speed and comes with ducting for 209.00!! thanks

Eric W S
05-28-2009, 07:30 AM
secondly, I bought a wrecked rover that had the heater core inside. ( the kind with two flaps and defrost hoses comming out off the top.) I istalled that so now the air coming in goes through both heater cores. that was the best thing.

Sounds like a good Kodiak.

You can find Kodiak's on the web occassionally. Seem to get top dollar though.

Or Summit racing has a mojave heater. A individual on Dweb installed it and posted up the pics...

EwS

adkrover
05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Also look at marine suppliers like Overton's, Hamilton Marine, West etc. They sell small remote heaters for boat cabins that just need you to supply hot coolant and 12v.

Bertha
05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a complete kodiak for sale with a perfect heater core. It needs paint, but is in good shape. PM me if you are interested.

TeriAnn
05-29-2009, 09:25 AM
A quick data point:

The Kodiak was rated at 17,500 B.T.U/hour.

Like any heater, the engine coolant temperature is very important. A 180 degree thermostat helps, as does good weather stripping, body insulation and plugging extra holes in the bulkhead.

luckyjoe
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
If you need a (better) heater, buy a Kodiak when the chance presents itself! Best heater in a Series - you'll even use your windows in Winter!

adkrover
05-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I have no experience with a Kodiak but I do have a Mt Mansfield from our sponsor and it will roast you out. Up here -20 F is common in these parts.

Firemanshort
05-30-2009, 11:53 AM
You guys do not need heaters - you need luggage. Who chooses to live where -20 F is a norm winter temperature? ;)

Eric W S
05-30-2009, 12:03 PM
You guys do not need heaters - you need luggage. Who chooses to live where -20 F is a norm winter temperature? ;)

Real Men! Add a nice wind chill to that as well! :thumb-up: :D

Actually, once the real estate market clears, I am done with the windy city. Wagons west!

adkrover
05-31-2009, 07:06 AM
I came here from the city. You'll find out what real people are like (or what people are really like) in a place like this.
:cheers:

adkrover
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
We actually saw snow today. Not enough to stick to the ground but definitely real snow. AHHHHHH..... winter's coming.