PDA

View Full Version : Parts Washer residue

TJR
05-30-2009, 06:02 AM
OK.. I have a metal tub parts washer that I set up in my shed 5 years ago. I had 10 gallons of diesel fuel it in w/ the Napa parts washer concentrate. It worked just fine back then.

While assembly my parts for my engine overhaul... I realized I couldn't find my vavle cover, Bell housing adapter?. I looked and looked and finally found them submerged in the now old cleaning fluid. Also the 3 seat box access panels were in there too. So... What's the big deal? The parts are now coated with a dark brown waxy gum residue that seems to be harder to clean off than the original grease and grime the parts started with? :rolleyes: oops!

So what is the best solvent to clean or disovle this diesel fuel varnish...? Will a fresh batch of K1 dissolve it? Thanks... Talbot

KevinNY
05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Try biodiesel, it is a more aggressive cleaner than #2 diesel.

Daurie
05-30-2009, 01:29 PM
You could try Varsol as well. This may sound crazy but Id try Purple Power too. Many things I've had trouble getting off with a "commercial" solvent, Purple Power made short work of.

greenmeanie
05-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Laquer thinner.

TJR
05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Laquer thinner.
I have some of that..

However.. What is purple power..?

4flattires
05-31-2009, 10:00 AM
..and should be found locally in your area. Most auto supply houses will have it. Do a Google search and you can see what others say about using it, including some precautions that should be heeded when using it.

Jeff