PDA

View Full Version : Leak at the oil pressure sender

rbonnett
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
I posted a few days ago http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6796 concerned about my front prop shaft. That turns out fine, but I have found an oil leak. In the interim, I've changed oil and filter, plus changed the oil in the gearbox, TC and diffs; so I may have fixed some other leaking drain or fill plug. After cleaning things off, I spotted one slow drip leak at the fitting for the pressure sender. It appears to be where the large line for the Smith gauge adapts in. Picture attached (I hope).

I've tried tightening this, but got nowhere. Before I go destroying anything, I'm wondering if this is something that can be refurbished (maybe a new seal or gasket of some kind). Or would I be better off replacing the whole thing?

Thanks

Linus Tremaine
06-01-2009, 12:33 AM
There are a few possible leak points in that picture. First, the hose. The hose is crimped by an aluminum collar onto a barbed fitting. The hose will become brittle over time and as it breaks down, it will become loose on the barb. Try grabbing the hose with your hands and twisting it to make sure its not loose on the barb. If it is, a new hose is needed. Second leak point is in the hose end. It is a female swivel nut that tightens onto a male flared thread. It is a metal on metal seal and usually they are not problematic. Take the hose off, look at the cone shaped male fitting and check the surface for pits or any damage. Then, look inside the female end and check the seating surface for the same. If overtightened, the seal surface inside the female end can crack.

Last leak point is on the "banjo" fitting that the hose end screws onto. This is the last brass piece. It should have a copper (or similar) crush washer on either side that provides the seal. If no other problems are evident, pull that apart and check the condition of the crush washers.

I would at first be most suspicious of the hose as it is the only non metallic seal and would be most likely to degrade with age.

rbonnett
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks. Hopefully it is the hose; that's the only separate part our hosts stock. Otherwise its buy a whole new unit.