PDA

View Full Version : what kind of tires fora series 2a 109

glbft1
06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Greetings,
Looking at firestone destination m/t for the new rig, anyone had any experience with these? any tires that are better for out in the woods and on the road?
Thanks
Greg:thumb-up:

badvibes
06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Greg-

Lots of choices and opinions coming I bet. I run BFG all terrains on my 2A. I've run a couple of sets of these on my Heep and now the Rover. They are a good compromise between on and off road. Their worst character is they are lousy in mud IMHO.

Best for the mud hands down were Interco swampers. Lousy road wear and loud on pavenment, I got @ 10K miles with them on the Heep.

I am also running ProComp muds on the Heep currently. I have had good results on and off road with them. Not too loud on road, decent wear so far, decent off road performance in sand, rock and even mud. They are siped so they have even been OK on rainy roads. I do live in dry New Mexico so my idea of "rainy roads" may not be the same as other peoples.

I do like the BFG ATs and would recommend them, I run the 235 85 16s on stock rims. I run the ProComps on the Heep because I got a killer deal on them from National Tire online. So I wouldn't be afraid to run a less popular tire like the ProComps if you can get a deal on them.

Jeff

jac04
06-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Greg-
Also check out www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com). IIRC, they had a lot of positive reviews on the Destination MT.

bmohan55
06-02-2009, 07:39 AM
I've been quite pleased with my Federal Couragia M/T's. I run 235/85/16's and they look quite right on my Series. They're siped so it's not an adventure in the rain and they're quite good in mud. Best part is they're cheap!

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Federal&tirename=Couragia+Mud+Terrain&season=Regular

Only downside that I've heard is that they wear out fast on heavier trucks, the big Dodge Rams were getting 20K on them.

NickDawson
06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
not to hijack the thread - but what is the largest outer diameter that will fit a series without modification?
This thread reminded me to do a search and I saw a lot of great info on brands/treads and sizing, but still unclear to me what a 285x70R15 (for instance) translates into in terms of actual tire height.

badvibes
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Nick-

Maybe this can serve as a baseline. The BFG 235 85 16s on stock rims tape a true 31". I put them on and at the same time put on a new stock 9 leaf front, 11 leaf rear suspension. I have no clearance or rub issues with this set up.

Jeff

Tim Smith
06-02-2009, 08:52 AM
not to hijack the thread - but what is the largest outer diameter that will fit a series without modification?
This thread reminded me to do a search and I saw a lot of great info on brands/treads and sizing, but still unclear to me what a 285x70R15 (for instance) translates into in terms of actual tire height.I have BFG MT 33X10.5. They fit well and due to my after market rims having a slightly wider (about 1.5") offset, I don't have rubbing problems in the turns. I do however rub on the rear wheel well on full articulation or if I'm loaded up with cement blocks. The truck came with these tires so I don't know if these would have rubbed in the turns when new. This tire size is probably the largest you could go without modifying the suspension or having military shackles.

My truck is also riding on three leaf rears and two leaf fronts. Both front and rear are parabolics.

Hope that helps.

109 Pretender
06-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Greg,
I'm running the Firestone M/T on my 67 109. great tire - quiet for a mudder, like the 3 ply sidewalls for offroad protection. They are 285-16 B/W on stock rims. Fit very well with plenty of clearance. I also recommend the BFG M/T (the new KM2 pattern). I have these on an FJ. Also a great tire w/3 ply sidewall. I think the Firestones are quieter but they have less aggressive treads so that's to be expected. About 20K on the BFG's and wear is excellent. Both of these tires use advanced multi compounds in the rubber and are very good on wet and snow. Neither has any siping and they don't need it. Sipes are for tires that are old tech with only a single compound in the rubber materials.
For the other ? asked about true dia. - go to tire rack and use their excellent charts - you can compare any brand/size tires they sell on all the specs. Great if you are trying to squeeze in a tire because as we all know actual sizes vary some between brands.

Cheers!

greenmeanie
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Nick,
Using a standard Rover size 235 85 R16. R16 means it is for a 16" rim. 235 is the width of the tyre in mm and 85 defines the aspect ration by giving the height of the tyre from the rim as a % of tyre width. Therefore for that size tyre you have 16" +(2*.85*235)/25.4 to give you the height in inches of about 31.7". Of course, nothing is ever easy or standard so two tyres using that size description can actually be quite different in diameter based on where the manufacturer makes their measurement.

ktom300
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Here's a metric tire size conversion tool. I think 235's are a tad big for my Lightweight so I'm going with 225/75/16's

http://www.s-series.org/htm/calc/tiresizeconv.htm

NickDawson
06-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys - great info! I put 30"s IIRC on my Disco and that was pushing it without body work. Glad to hear that series trucks can accomodate something larger .

Greg - thanks for starting the thread (and for letting me hijack)

Blueboy
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
They are 285-16 B/W on stock rims.

is this correct or did you mean 235?

if they are 285 is the aspect ration 75?

thx,

Jaime

109 Pretender
06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
OOPS!
Good eye Jamie!
Yeah my 109 has the 235/85-16 Firestone M/T
My FJ has 285/75-17 BFG M/T

The Firestones are a good but tight fit. If you were to do full axle articulation they might rub. Also, I have 1.5" wheel spacers which make a diff. w/o spacers they might rub on springs - otherwise outer body panels no problem w/spacers.

As a side note since we have all wondered about strength of wheel spacers - on Feb 13th (friday...) my GF and I were in an accident in the Rover. I hit a kid w/my rf side who turned left in front of me. we hit him dead broadside going 45mph.

The rf fender was almost ripped off my rover. The front axle housing was bent back about 2" and the rf spring was damaged along w/frame horn and bumper.
My wheel wasn't hurt nor was the 1.5" spacer. Neither of us suffered a scratch (and I have an OH console w/Lucas switches for my lighting) - never hit anything inside. We both were wearing the Rover factory non-retract belts. Other truck (late model chevy) shot across the intersection and hit a C5 Vette then went across the other side into a bar ditch. He was totaled. My GF now hates the Toyota FJ and worships the Rover! Police thought that the Toy would have been totaled. I do too.
Many thanks to Ike for his SD front bumper and he's building me a NP435 adapter as well. The loads went through the frame and driveline so I'm replacing trans w/Ford unit (mated to series transfer). Next I guess I'm going to pony up and ship over a front Salisbury since I can't get Bill (GBR) to part w/his...
So I can now say w/confidence that our old rovers are indeed crash worthy and then some! I am certain the Toy would've ripped off the complete rf suspension in this collision. Lisa hates the Toy now because it feels so cheap and tinney and doesn't ride offroad as well as my 42 year old 109. And she's right!

Later guys and sorry about my boo,boo on tire sizes

greenmeanie
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
109 Pretender,
Glad you survived relatively unscathed. What vehicle was the kid driving?

You sound like your building/rebuilding your truck to a very similar spec to my 109 project with the exception that I am using a Chevy 292 instead of the Rover V8. I looked and lusted after one of those front Salisburies in the UK but while the initial purchase looks cheap the shipping was going to be a killer and 109 front salisbury parts are not that easy to get hold of.

For that money I am looking at either Mercedes Jim's Seriestrek conversion or even full Toyota axle swap.

Blueboy
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Glad you survived relatively unscathed.

yes X gazzilion!

and thx for the clarification.

as a side note, I had a guy driving an old Caddy (76 ElDor) turn into my lane directly in front of my '93 LWB Rangie which had a 3" lift and an ARB with a winch mounted in the front.

I was going 45mph and the Rangie went over the Caddy taking with it 2 fenders, a hood, and the top part of his engine.

pushed the drivers side wheel under the seat box.

the Rangie drifted to a stop and I was able to open the door to get out un-harmed!!! Had the safety harness on.

bent the frame and the Rangie was toast yet I was fine.

unfortunately the Caddy driver didn't fair as well since he had removed the seatbelt and the air bag from his car.

I've always wondered how the 109 would fair and I feel better now.

Jaime

Dashface
06-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I seem to recall that the rim size on my 109 NADA is 17 inches... I'm probably wrong, but any clarification would be great! (It's not parked outside my house right now or I'd look haha).

As for the safety posts, good to see that modern and old rovers are both good, as I also have a Disco. Of course, my only real safety worries are when I'm in my MG B. My friend pointed out the other day that having seatbelts in the B was basically as useful as seatbelts on a motorcycle... I hope I don't come up against a Land Rover any time soon :thu:

Blueboy
06-03-2009, 07:46 AM
the rim size on my 109 NADA is 17 inches

could be if it were changed from the original 16" wheel.

109 Pretender
06-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys for the responses

Meanie - yeah I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for a front axle. You're right about the Sal front being expensive though. I had Bill at GBR build me a rear Sal and I installed it about 3-4 mos. before the accident. I'm planning on fabbing up from scratch front military/1 tonne front frame horns w/mil shackles. Same for rear. Mercedes Jim or GBR both have very good options in lieu of the Sal. But I really like the Dana 60 R&P even though the 24 spline axles aren't that stout. For my app. I don't need that much anyway. This rover is more of an Overlander than a rockcrawler - (not many rocks in Oklahoma!).
Dashface - as far as I know no series ever came factory w/17" wheels. Most were 16" except a bunch of series 3's for USA that came w/15" because 16" wasn't a popular rim size here back in the 70's. Chevy's used a 16.5" rim back then almost exclusively IIRC.
The "other guy" was a 19 year old who was driving a late model Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado P.U. My Rover hit his passenger side around his RR wheel. I almost cut the truck bed in half. Also ruined his wheel and axle.
Everyone there was amazed by how little body damage was suffered by my rover. However, the drivetrain took the worst so I have to replace the whole front axle housing & both lower steer arms. (They got damaged because my SD tie rods I built were too stong - 1 3/8" dia X1/4" wall thickness). Front driveshaft was destroyed, damage inside transfer case and something in trans too. I haven't broke down the gearbox but it isn't right anymore. The good news is the other insurance co paid very handsomely (thanks RN for your wonderful site w/part# and pics!!). I had a friend of mine do a pro estimate and had no problems w/insurance company. They basically said "well we don't know what it'll cost because it's 42 years old... Bingo - get out the parts book! Had enough left over to buy a Sankey trailer (Khaki Corps Imports), Honda gen, Engel fridge, RTT, etc. But, I've got a lot of work in store now - but that's ok - I like getting greasy!

thanks again guys!

TeriAnn
06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
The factory standard size for a model 109 is 750-16 which is a 32 inch dia tyre. 235/85R16 is the closest metric equivelent (BFG M.T. 32 inch dia, 9.2 inches wide at widest).

The maximum diameter tyre you can fit depends upon the tyre width. When a spring on one side articulates up, the top of the tyre moves inwards. When it articulated down, the top of the tyre moves outwards. So the narrower the tyre, the taller it can be and fit.

I've settled on BFG mud terrains as my standard tyre. They are not the best at anything but they are good on many surfaces and is the best all around tyre I have found. I can get about 60K miles out of a set.

With 265/75R16 mud terrains (32 inch dia, 10.5 inch at widest) I found that my rear tyres were just cleaning the mud off the inner wells at full upward articulation when the other side was at full downward articulation. I'm currently running 255/85R16 mud terrains (33.3 inch dia, 10 inch wide at widest) and have to clean the dirt off the rear inner wells myself.

The 109 one ton has the extended shackles and front spring mounts for extra axle to body clearance. They came stock with 900-16 tyres. These are 35 inch diameter tyres with a tread width of about 8 inches. Tyres that tall and that narrow are hard to find these days.

35's would likely fit without a lift if one were to add Defender wheel arches and custom rims that were wide enough for the tyre and offset a little to the outside.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetailPics/NewWing.jpg
Truck in front has early Euro spec Defender outer wing panels, 33.3 inch dia tyres mounted on 7 inch wide Discovery I steel wheels. Plenty of room for taller tyres.

Truck in back has stock Series wing panels, stock 6 inch wide wheels and 32 inch dia tyres.

Drain Rovers2
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Nice trucks Teriann i have always loved that setup that you have...:thumb-up: