PDA

View Full Version : 1995 LR Disco Brakes

mickeyb89
06-02-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm in the process of replacing the brake pads and rotors on all four wheels on my '95 Disco. After taking off the old rotors, I noticed a difference with the new ones. The old rotors have 10 holes drilled in it. The 5 large ones for the bolts that connect the rotor to the hub, and then 5 smaller ones in between each of those. The smaller holes held one end of a double ended screw and a plate attached to those screws. The plate covers the bolt heads that attach to the hub and the other side of the plate is ridged. I've been told that this plate is related to the ABS on the truck and I need to know if it's 100% necessary to have this plate on there. If so, I'll probably need to get the rotors drilled for those extra holes. I went ahead and put the new rotors and pads on and it's a very secure fit. There is no wobble or play in the rotor and hub. The truck is not being driven and the ABS fuse has been removed. I've also been told that a lot of older Disco's have problems after a while with the ABS and that the easiest thing to do is just disable it. Any information on this would be helpful.

Wallace
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
That part inside your rotor is the anti-lock ring which, along with the sensor, tells the ABS computer how fast the wheel is turning. If you leave them out, you'll get an ABS failure and the caution lights on the dash will remain on. The brakes will still work but the ABS won't.

It sounds like you have the wrong rotors. The correct ones are only $39 each from our sponsors. Do yourself a favor and replace them with the correct parts to keep the ABS operational.

mickeyb89
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I will just have the ones I have drilled then, thanks for the input.