The Rover finally got its fender flares...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NC Rover
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2007

The Rover finally got its fender flares...

Finally got around to installing my fender flares. I bought them awhile back and fit them but never had a chance to actually sit down and install. Well I finally got to it.

Since I have D90 axles...the wheels sat just a bit outside of the bodyline (see 1st picture). So I thought these fenders would compliment it nicely. I didn't care much for the D90 flares as they were very sharp and extended further from the body....whereas these are a bit more subtle. I think I am equally torn between having the fenders on or having them off. The good thing is I can unbolt these down the road and easily remove should I decide to have the original fender look again. I only had to drill small holes in the inner fender lip.

I will say the rover has received a lot of attention from locals after the flares were installed...lots of people stopping me to ask about it and lots of thumbs up. The fenders seemed to make it look a bit more beefier.

Now if I can just find a safari/tropical hard top..I'll be set.

Without....you can see how the wheels sat just outside of the bodyline...

and with fender flares....

Last edited by NC Rover; 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|
  • bmohan55
    4th Gear
    • Sep 2008

nice

Is that a Corrado in the first pic? If so, nice mix of rides.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• NC Rover
      2nd Gear
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by bmohan55
      nice

Is that a Corrado in the first pic? If so, nice mix of rides.
      Yes that would be my other neverending project.... '93 Corrado SLC. Currently replacing the radiator on it with a billet aluminum version.

It currently looks like this:

When its together and running...it looks like this:

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Comment

• JackIIA
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2008

Looks great. In my mind both ways, flare or no flare. But I don't mind tires hanging out a bit. Love the general look of the truck. Any difficulties sourcing a pick up cab top? I really like those and have thought about it.
        1970 88 IIA

Comment

• chefplw
          Low Range
          • Oct 2008

I like it with the flares. up here on the cape lots of trucks with wide tires for the beach so I guess it a look Im use to. I was wondering about the tonnuea cover did you have that made or buy it. I would need one for 109.
          '65 ex-mod 109 - newbie

Comment

• CdnSeries2a
            Low Range
            • Apr 2009

Very nice! You seem to already have a pretty good mix of tops!

Comment

• NC Rover
              2nd Gear
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by JackIIA
              Looks great. In my mind both ways, flare or no flare. But I don't mind tires hanging out a bit. Love the general look of the truck. Any difficulties sourcing a pick up cab top? I really like those and have thought about it.
              Thanks! Yeah I think I like it equally both ways. I was just running into the problem of having the tread on the tires sling up rocks and mud along the side of the body rather than inside the wheel wells, scraping it up pretty good. The flares do a good job of keeping it underneath.

As far as the truck top, the previous owner called me and said he had it so I picked it up. If I recall, he had everything shipped over from the UK by a friend of his in the military. The previous owner is a helicopter pilot for the Marines.

I will say the truck top is fantastic during the summer....so much cooler than the full top....not to mention it would probably be a lot warmer during the winter being that there is less space to heat.

Comment

• NC Rover
                2nd Gear
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chefplw
                I like it with the flares. up here on the cape lots of trucks with wide tires for the beach so I guess it a look Im use to. I was wondering about the tonnuea cover did you have that made or buy it. I would need one for 109.
                Tonneau cover was a custom job. I actually considered buying my uncle's industrial sewing machine and start making a few.

Comment

• jimsshuman
                  1st Gear
                  • Apr 2008

""Tonneau cover was a custom job. I actually considered buying my uncle's industrial sewing machine and start making a few.""

I think this would be a great idea!

What's the little antenna looking deal on the front right (i think) fender near the bulkhead?
                  sigpic
                  '91 RRC, SWB (tuned up quite nicely, new water pump, needs radiator repaired or replaced and brakes!) Sold😔
                  '74 S III, diesel, 109, rhd, hard top
                  (patiently awaiting cummings 4bt, nv 4500, and np200!)
                  Finally IN PROGRESS!! Sold😖

Comment

• CdnSeries2a
                    Low Range
                    • Apr 2009

I totally agree the tonneau looks awesome! I have one for my 73 Midget and it attracts alot of response from people, makes it look cleaner.

Comment

• NC Rover
                      2nd Gear
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by CdnSeries2a
                      I totally agree the tonneau looks awesome! I have one for my 73 Midget and it attracts alot of response from people, makes it look cleaner.
                      I love the tonneau cover. Its great. Plus its easy to keep stuff in there when you drive around town and not have things blow out or have people snooping around in the back (not that it would be hard to but its somewhat of a deterrent..).

However I do like the hardtop....

Comment

• bmohan55
                        4th Gear
                        • Sep 2008

Beautiful Truck!!!!!!!!!!

My goal is to get mine to look similar to that...eventually. Until then I'll think of it's shortcomings as well earned character.
                        04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
                        '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• JackIIA
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2008

NC - What kind of high back seats do you have? Are they LR issue? They look great. (Sometimes I see seat setups that end up looking abit goofy.) I will eventually move to high backs for safety, but I do so begrudgingly. So any seat that looks 'original' is high on my list.
                          1970 88 IIA

Comment

• TCapelle
                            1st Gear
                            • Mar 2008

Where did you get the flares?

Hello NC rover

I like those flares...

I have kinda a project going on myself with my 109 5 door wheelwells

My bottom extra wide sills seem to be about 1.5 inch to long on the rear wheelwell- not sure why that is- maybe the sills are not for a series and instead a defender? they came as parts with the truck

Anyways I am debating to either not put them on or may add a flare which would cover up the overhang in the wheel well-

Any info and any advice from anyone is welcome

Comment

• Dantelaterra
                              Low Range
                              • Feb 2007

Man, awesome Rover! Do you ever take it off road? WE are getting ready to do a quick adveture at Uwharrie National Forest in Troy NC! We're going to camp out there and get some awesome footage of us taking our Rover's off road, right now we have a P38 Range Rover, 02 Disco "Westminster" a 96 Disco 1, possibly a new L322 Range and we would love a classic!!!! If you're interested let me know. We have a film producer shooting the film!!
                              Check out my Land Rover Off Road site LROffroad.com!

Comment

Working...