PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys store/remove/replace your hard tops?

NC Rover
06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Just curious how some of you remove and store your hard top?

Do you have someone helping you? Are there certain methods or rigging up a contraption to remove and replace with ease?

Please share you ideas with us! (picture examples would be nice too). :thumb-up:

JackIIA
06-03-2009, 10:02 AM
In college I would undo the bolts and slide the entire hardtop toward the tailgate (with gate down). Until I finally basically 'jumped off' the truck using my head and shoulders to support the top. Yes, a 4 year education did little for my common sense. In addition to having knees that are less forgiving now, I wouldn't recommend this technique. I ripped the liner doing it once.

I don't know if others enlist help. But since then, I've always been able to do it alone, if you have the time and care, by moving it off the tub in stages using 2 x 4's across the tub as support and eventually onto a plywood table (such as on horses) then a wide dolly, back of the hardtop resting on the dolly.

NickDawson
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
We do not have a garrage (or a Rover at this point) but we do have a huge oak tree hanging over our on-street parking....
I have a plan...

It would be fairly easy to rig a pully system with a few 2x4s to act as a harness. Lower the harness onto the top of the hard top, secure it somehow (through the windows?) and use the pully to take enough weight off to drive away from the hard top...

Now, this presents the issue of what to do next. I guess I clould lower the top onto a dolly or something... but I *know* the neighbors would much rather I just pull it up into the high branches of the tree and leave it there for the summer. At least thats how it plays out in my mind. In reality I suspect we will make it a two person effort.

Storage is a concern - the only place we have is on the side of the house (think urban lots). I think a few tarps and some plastic would keep it safe, but I do worry about the head liner (assuming what I find in my budget still has a head liner).

The Mrs is also talking about a storage unit for other stuff in the house ... so there's that option

Jeff Aronson
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nick,

In a pinch, I can remove the top myself by unbolting all the windshield bolts, the two behind the front seats, and the 6 that run around the rear tub. If you lift, Quasimodo style, hunched over and in pain, you can lift the top off the car and slide it back onto the ground.

The hardtop is lighter than the tropical top, but not by much.

I've done it this way for decades but NEVER refuse the offer for help. 3 people make the whole thing a snap, 2 people lessen the pain. The top is more awkward than it is heavy.

Jeff

scott
06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
get "The Gods Must Be Crazy" video and watch the scene where the guys is preparing to go into the bush. heck just watch the whole thing, it's pretty entertaining

NC Rover
06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the great replies. I actually picked up a cheap winch from Harbor Freight tools. I'm going to run a piece of heavy gauge tubing across the rafters of my garage and mount the winch to the bar.....spreading the stress out among all the rafters rather than one spot. That way I can lift and lower the hardtop with a flip of a switch. I'll post some pics once I have it done.

Tim Smith
06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I like to take the sides off when I store mine. Haven't done this yet, but the thought is to put a couple of hooks in the wall of the garage and the top section would just hang on them. The other thought is to take a couple of 2x's and rig up a shelf off of the ceiling. Once off and apart, you could just slide the parts up there well away from the dangers of the garage.

Taking the roof off is easier if you take the top apart from the sides. I can do it all on my own but much rather the assistance of a friend to avoid ripping the headliner like JackIIA mentioned.

telwyn
06-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I've taken mine off by myself a few times and while it's doable, it's a real bear. Much easier to unbolt it, slide it down the back of the Rover and then walk it off with 1 person on each side.

I then store it on it's rear end with the front of the hard top facing the garage sealing. Balances perfectly. No headline so no worries there.

NickDawson
06-05-2009, 03:32 PM
not having a rover (changing very soon) I didn't realize the sides were totally seperate from the top itself - makes sense now that I think about it. That makes storage much easier for me. Great info, thanks guys!

Jeff Aronson
06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
It is easier for removal and storage to unbolt all the pieces that comprise a top, but just remember, every time you unbolt and remove something, you will probably need to keep an eye on replacing the rubber seals and you risk a leak when you try and get the pieces to mate up together.

The nice thing about living on an island is that your neighbors don't mind "temporary storage."

Jeff

4flattires
06-06-2009, 08:21 AM
In this scenario the top is moving from one Rover to another, but imagine the second rover being a stand (or other fabbed item) you have to store it.

Needed items:

Two sections of 2x6 lumber.
Two pipe sections.

1. Unbolt the top.
2. Place both sections of pipe under the top.
3. Span the gap between Rover and your stand with the 2x6.
4. Roll the top with a simple twist of your wrist.

(idea stolen from those old guys that built the pyramids) :eek:

Jeff

LH Drive
06-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Read this post,,it has some good ideas and pictures
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4547&highlight=quick+tops