PDA

View Full Version : Release bearing going?

CdnSeries2a
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Something weird happened on the way home from work today, it was almost like the engine was losing power/clutch was slipping.

The clutch pedal felt weird too as if it was higher than normal? I pulled over to have a look to see if I was leaking fluid but I wasn't, got back in and kept going and it did it again about 5 minutes later, this time on the down shift the shifter wouldn't go into 3rd even though my foot was right to the floor! I pumped the clutch pedal and it went into gear this time mind you with a little protest. Again I stopped to check and again after a couple of minutes on the side of the road it ran perfectly for the rest of the drive.

It's a 68 Series 2a diesel.

Alan

Tim Smith
06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Does it feel like there is a gap developing in the peddle? :confused:

CdnSeries2a
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't say a gap but maybe there was an air pocket in the line? I bled the hydrualic system when I got home and it's been fine...but I just hate not knowing! It's not like you can go in there and check out the release bearing!! :(

LaneRover
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I would check the heavy pins that connect the clutch actuating rod to the clutch as it goes into the transmission.

Strangely there are times that my clutch hydraulics are affected by whether or not the fluid is a little low. Of course the fact that it gets low probably means that I have some tiny leak somewhere. . .

Jeff Aronson
06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
You may have a slave cylinder that is failing, thus, the occasional "problems" actuating the clutch. It may not be leaking out but leaking internally. It's an easy replacement on a Series II-A.

Jeff

CdnSeries2a
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Well it hasn't done it since I bled it, and I had it out this past weekend with the club and no problems...I'll just keep my eye on it! :thumb-up: