PDA

View Full Version : new member-new truck

Tsmith
06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello, I just purchased a '60 Series II SWB Station Wagon. It is in the barn and I'm going over it to see what it needs to pass inspection in New York. I'm sure at least one wiper should function. The Bulkhead seems to have been recently rebuilt, seatbox and floors are new, it runs very well with good power. I've never had a SII before so I don't know what to expect from the brakes. They command your attention.

I had two SIII SWB in the past, put 70,000 miles on one and did most of the work myself. I guess I am a slow learner.

Tom Smith
1960 SII
1960 +4 Morgan

Jeff Aronson
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Congratulations on your new Series II. David Pound (http://www.davidpound.com)in Stowe, VT, recently rebuilt a '59 Series II so he'd be a good resource for some of the unique features of II versus a II-A [water pump, horn button, etc.].

The Series III experience will provide you with a good learning curve for the II. Just remember you have no synchro in 1rst or 2nd. Get ready for lots of double clutchiing.

And if you need someone to watch the Morgan for you, let me know :).

Jeff

4flattires
06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
This is a pretty good group here, lots of tips, great sage advice and appropriated inserted humor into the posts.

No question is a dumb one. You will quickly see who is a regular contributor to posts.

Pics, pics, pics...lots of project pics please.

Oh...and purchase from our sponsor when you can. :thumb-up:

Jeff

Tsmith
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I had a long history with our hosts with the SIII. It's in all our interests to keep them and other supliers healthy. They were always a source of great advice in the past...I've already purchased the manual and have a list started for the work I plan in the next week or so. First job is to get it registered and inspected.

Everything works well except the wipers. The motors turn them slowly, so I suspect the grease has turned to something solid and a cleaning will help.

Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll send one along.

Tom Smith
SII
'60 Morgan
1933 F12 Farmall

LaneRover
06-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Try checking all the electrical connections for the wipers and cleaning off any corrosion before you take the wipers apart.

kevin-ct
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Good luck with the truck

Tim Smith
06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Hold on a minute. There is another Smith out there? Never!

Welcome aboard. It's a good group here so don't feel ashamed of silly questions. :thumb-up:

shortbutslow
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
There's a good article on rebuilding wiper motors somewhere, maybe the OVLR site. I rebuilt mine and they're fairly straightforward but (mine at least) are very slow, to the point where they're kind of comical. Ike Goss carries some of the seals but if the insulators need replacing you can make your own - I made mine from a rubber cargo strap, worked like a charm. Good luck!

Andrew IIA
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
There's a good article on rebuilding wiper motors somewhere, maybe the OVLR site. I rebuilt mine and they're fairly straightforward but (mine at least) are very slow, to the point where they're kind of comical. Ike Goss carries some of the seals but if the insulators need replacing you can make your own - I made mine from a rubber cargo strap, worked like a charm. Good luck!

Here's the link on wiper rehab (there's probably more):

http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/series-rover-lucas-wiper-motor-refurbishment/

Welcome and good luck.
Best regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/

LaneRover
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Hold on a minute. There is another Smith out there? Never!

Welcome aboard. It's a good group here so don't feel ashamed of silly questions. :thumb-up:

Actually, another T Smith

TeriAnn
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Hello, I just purchased a '60 Series II SWB Station Wagon. It is in the barn and I'm going over it to see what it needs to pass inspection in New York. I'm sure at least one wiper should function. The Bulkhead seems to have been recently rebuilt, seatbox and floors are new, it runs very well with good power. I've never had a SII before so I don't know what to expect from the brakes. They command your attention.

I had two SIII SWB in the past, put 70,000 miles on one and did most of the work myself. I guess I am a slow learner.

Tom Smith
1960 SII
1960 +4 Morgan

You can convert your SII brakes to SIII power brakes. It is a relatively easy conversion that will give you the same braking experience that you are used t with the SIII.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm

TeriAnn
1960 SII 109 Dormobile
1961 Triumph TR3A

Tsmith
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome and all the wiper motor solutions.

kevin-ct
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I cant post a pic of the truck