PDA

View Full Version : The Ignition switch is off and she keeps running

cscutt
06-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello All. My series III, 109, 2.25L Petrol has a bit of a problem. The ignition switch will turn on and start the motor, but the problem is when I turn the key to the off position on the ignition switch, all componants remain on and function as if the ignition switch were still in the on position. any ideas?

Jeff Aronson
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you mean that the only way to kill the motor is to stall out the car or disconnect the battery? If you stall out the car, do the accessory functions stay on?

Or, if you turn off the key, do the "ignition on" features like the windshield wipers and the directional signals still function? Does the motor continue to run also?

The ignition switch is just a glorified circular switch - as you turn the key, it opens up different circuits. The "on" position sends power to the alternator and accessory circuits [wiper, directionals, brake lights]. The "start" position adds power from the battery to the starter motor.

Perhaps the internals of the switch are not functioning properly. The internals can be replaced and allow you to still use your current key. I've had to replace mine on my II-A twice in 19 years, once in a snowbank and once on a -15F morning. If I can do it, so can you :). The Haynes Manual or Land Rover Service Manual will help you identify which color wire goes on which connector of the switch. Helpfully, each connector has a letter designation on the switch itself.

The Series III has the ignition switch that includes the starter function, and is probably shared with other British Leyland products of that time. My MG Midget and MGB also need switch internals replaced.

Good luck,

Jeff

cscutt
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Hello Sir. everything remains on and functions as normal, I have no additional equipment on the vehicle. :thumb-up:

Do you mean that the only way to kill the motor is to stall out the car or disconnect the battery? If you stall out the car, do the accessory functions stay on?

Or, if you turn off the key, do the "ignition on" features like the windshield wipers and the directional signals still function? Does the motor continue to run also?

The ignition switch is just a glorified circular switch - as you turn the key, it opens up different circuits. The "on" position sends power to the alternator and accessory circuits [wiper, directionals, brake lights]. The "start" position adds power from the battery to the starter motor.

Perhaps the internals of the switch are not functioning properly. The internals can be replaced and allow you to still use your current key. I've had to replace mine on my II-A twice in 19 years, once in a snowbank and once on a -15F morning. If I can do it, so can you :). The Haynes Manual or Land Rover Service Manual will help you identify which color wire goes on which connector of the switch. Helpfully, each connector has a letter designation on the switch itself.

The Series III has the ignition switch that includes the starter function, and is probably shared with other British Leyland products of that time. My MG Midget and MGB also need switch internals replaced.

Good luck,

Jeff

cscutt
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I will order one. Thanks for the help.

Hello Sir. everything remains on and functions as normal, I have no additional equipment on the vehicle. :thumb-up:

junkyddog11
06-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Do you mean that the only way to kill the motor is to stall out the car or disconnect the battery?

I though for sure you were going to say "just give 'er a thwack with the oar Burt!" :D