PDA

View Full Version : My engine even has the kitchen sink

navydevildoc
06-05-2009, 07:24 PM
OK, here is my question for the day. I have my rear axle off at powder coating, and my new wire harness is just about ready to go in, so I am focusing on other "oddball" items.

Take a look at the attached picture. The breather in the foreground is what is in question. What on earth is going on here? I would normally expect a PCV valve to be here, but instead it looks to be an "open to the atmosphere" breather cap, with what sure looks like a kitchen sink faucet welded to it with some plastic tubing on the other end.

I am guessing that PCV valves were not out yet in '65 when this engine was installed, but is the whole kitchen faucet idea a good one? I am guessing the PO was trying to keep slime out of the engine compartment.

On that related note, is it worth trying to convert it to a true PCV system? Is that possible with an engine that wasn't fitted with one?

jac04
06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
That is a normal breather set-up for an older engine (except for the added-on piping). There are 2 breathers that are open to atmosphere - one on the valve cover and one on the oil fill tube. I wouldn't bother to convert to a PCV system unless the vapors bother you.

My 63 had the same 2 breathers:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/Land%20Rover/000_0350.jpg

navydevildoc
06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
You know jac, I get jealous any time I see pics of your truck. Man that's clean... what I hope to have sooner or later.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions... I will go ahead and order a new breather to get rid of the extra "plumbing". I just ordered a bunch of stuff from our hosts today, too.

Jeff Aronson
06-06-2009, 05:48 AM
The engine setup on my '66 resembles that of Jac's. My other '66 has the "later" PCV valve and oil fill cap in lieu of those in his photo.

While the setup of one engine resembles Jac's, his is missing the grime and gunk that covers my engine. It does look great, doesn't it.

Jeff

Firemanshort
06-06-2009, 08:55 AM
What is that heater set up? What type of heater valve is that?

(Total thread hijack... :) )

daveb
06-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Kodiak MkIII

Those heater valves are of North American manufacture. At my FLAPS we were able to find it in a book but it was not available. I got an inline one instead.

What is that heater set up? What type of heater valve is that?

(Total thread hijack... :) )

4flattires
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
We used to make beverages in setups like that.

Wait...

No...

We used radiators and bathtubs.

:thumb-up:

Jeff