PDA

View Full Version : Brake Flaring

Richard
06-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I am fitting new copper-nickel brake lines on my truck. I am reusing a couple of the "old" fittings as they were nearly new. I noticed that the flares on the old lines were single flares. I'm not sure if it matters, but the old lines were steel. Should I, and can I, use these original fittings with a double flair on the new copper-nickle lines?

When is use of a single flair appropriate? Isn't the double flair a safety feature to prevent line failures?

alaskajosh
06-06-2009, 11:17 AM
You'd better go and double flare those things.
After driving my LR for over a year I was doing some work, manipulating a brake line a little, and it just popped off in my hand!!! Single flare! Checked all the connections and they were all as weak. Luckily they were long enough that I could re-flare (double!) with what was there.

I think what happens is these LRs are so simple for DIY'ers to work on.. that, over the years, DIY'ers work on them. And things like single flares happen.

Maybe others can chime in on this, but are those copper alloy lines considered good to go? I know they're used overseas, and are temptingly easy to work with, but I thought there was some issue with them hardening/weakening over time/vibration... problems... I don't know??

Kind regards, Josh

LC Rover
06-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Check out this site...lots of good info and parts http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=data#data

LC Rover
74 88 MOD

gudjeon
06-06-2009, 03:40 PM
At 11 bucks for a roll of steel brake tubing, new fittings for around a buck each, and already having a flaring kit, the math was easy for me.:thumb-up: This and the question of work hardening and -30 temps.