PDA

View Full Version : Pressurized Oil Filter?

pvkd
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Pressurized Oil Filter?

After enduring years of a small leak “around my oil filter,” I decided that I would clean the area and run the engine while waiting for it to leak. To my surprise after having sealed the sump (oil pan) earlier and having replaced the oil cooler lines and “O” rings, oil was observed leaking from the filter itself.

The oil was observed to collect slowly at the seam of where the white painted metal can of the oil filter is attached to the ”anodized” metal surface the houses the rubber gasket. The oil is not coming from the gasket. It appears that the oil filter is being pressurized.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

:confused:

Ed*
01-29-2007, 10:41 AM
no answer, but I have the exact same leak on my rover

if any one know the cause / solution I'd love to know too

pvkd
01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
On checking with another club member there is the suggestion that my oil pressure relief valve may not be functioning correctly and thus somehow pressuring the filter.

I will let you know.

sven
01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
On my 95 the oil pressure relief valve o-ring was leaking. Its directly over the filter (on the 95) so its easy to think its coming from the filter. The bad news is that the o ring is not available from the dealer or any online rover place. I had to match mine up an a local hardware store.

singingcamel
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
could be a oil relief valve sticking, probably slugded up. , may need to replace your oil pump but first, it may just need to be tightened up.1994 that had a chronic leak removed the oil filter and tightened trhe large nut , problemd solved. what year?

CJH
01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
If the crimp on the filter is leaking, replace filter
Oil cooler adapter (between filter & block where the filter screws onto) can leak. With filter off, the large hex nut can be tightened
Gasket between cooler adpater & block (front cover actually) is nothing more than a sealing ring from an oil filter, save one from an old filter
Pressure relief as stated can leak. O-rings & copper sealing washers available at a good parts store (NAPA)