PDA

View Full Version : Insurance suggestions

Tsmith
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Are there any recommendations for insurance? The truck will be registered in New York and will not be a daily driver. Hagerty insures my Morgan but seems uninterested in tha SII. The insured my SIII ten years ago, but it seems they've changed.

navydevildoc
06-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Are you looking for some type of special coverage? I just have mine on my regular auto policy with USAA.

NickDawson
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Are you looking for some type of special coverage? I just have mine on my regular auto policy with USAA.

Its me, hijacking a thread once again ... Navydevildoc - how did you get USAA to quote it? They told me it a '73 wasn't in their database. Figured it was just the rep I spoke with...

I'm also trying to understand insurance options - thinking about registering as an antique to avoid VA state inspection, not sure if that factors in.

bmohan55
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I registered mine in VA as an antique cuz I wanted to drive it NOW as opposed to replacing all the marker lights, speedo, ect...and spend my quickly depleating money on getting it to run right. In VA you need to have another car as as daily driver. It was a one time fee of $160 IIRC. I already been pulled over for lack of an inspection sticker, she had to call in to verify that I didn't need one. Guess I look a little shifty!

When I talked to Hagerty on insurance it went very smoothly because of the antique registration. Their restrictions matched the States, i.e. limited use secondary vehicle.

BTW- they do not cover off-roading damage...so don't mention that!

NickDawson
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Great info, thanks bmohan55!

how is limited use defined?

galen216
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
how is limited use defined?

Don't pass the same cop twice in the same week.

I have antique tags too. VA was a joke compared to PA. In PA you had to provide photos and any little flaw was cause for disapproval. In VA anything goes as long as it meets the 25 year rule.

If you drive it too work one day a week and on weekends for a car show or off-road event you would be fine. If you want to drive it daily, get regular tags.

bmohan, why would they make you change the marker lights and speedo?

Blueboy
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
In PA you had to provide photos and any little flaw was cause for disapproval.

exactly!!!

which is why I will not give up my PA tag even living in NY.

this is a good thread as I'm also looking for insurance options.

Jaime

Mercedesrover
06-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a Chubb "stated value" policy on both of my trucks. No appraisal needed. I give them a value I want the trucks insured for and they insure them for that much. If one burns to the ground, they pay me the agreed figure. No question on value.

If you know insurance companies, Chubb is the best out there by far. (I spend 10 hours a day dealing with auto collision claims so I've had a lot of experience over the years.)

Tsmith
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I added the new SII to my regular policy. I had hoped to add it to my existing Hagerty classic car policy, but they want it to be in better condition.

I want to be able to use it as often as needed and most of the classic policies restrict it to some degree. State registrations are a different question. Living in New York, historical and vintage plates "cannot be used for daily transportation". Other states may be different.

Tsmith
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Chubb is clearly the best, but can be pricey. If the vehicle is damages beyond the "book value" Chubb and a few others will allow you the option of buying it back for restoration at a reasonable sum..

czenkov
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I am with USAA as well. The lady I worked with was really good - we agreed on the stated value as $4k range (low). I think she looked up KBB value for average or something to get that number. But to get that where it needs to be I need to go get it appraised by a SME.

navydevildoc
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Its me, hijacking a thread once again ... Navydevildoc - how did you get USAA to quote it? They told me it a '73 wasn't in their database. Figured it was just the rep I spoke with...

I'm also trying to understand insurance options - thinking about registering as an antique to avoid VA state inspection, not sure if that factors in.

I just called them up and added it. We had to guess at a whole bunch of stuff, like original purchase price :confused:, body type (again no easy choice). But in the end about 30 minutes later it was done.

As far as plates, I have personalized plates, but other than that, they are not "Antique" or "Collector" plates.

superstator
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
FWIW, I'm insured with Progressive, and was able to add my 109 online just like any other car. But I have liability only on it, so all they really cared about was that the VIN match my title so they can make the state DMV happy.

Mercedesrover
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Progressive is fine for liability only, but don't insure anything you care about with those guys. The worst company in the country.

Tell me this chick isn't the devil.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Flo_from_Progressive_Insurance.jpg/280px-Flo_from_Progressive_Insurance.jpg

superstator
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
What was your experience with them? I've been nothing but satisfied - not that I've had to actually use them much, but they were helpful and responsive the handful of times I had claims with other vehicles.

Farmers, on the other hand... I had to file a complaint with the state insurance board to get them to pay up after one of their customers did $6,000 worth of damage backing into my (parked) car.

Liondog
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Any of you use Grundy Insurance? I got a nice quote for a "stated value" policy. Cheaper than Haggerty. Grundy seems to allow higher limits of liability which Haggerty apparently did not. Grundy also gave me a very nice quote for a 1999 Porsche 911 - about half of what AAA was charging me. I don't have the policy in hand yet, so I guess there's the opportunity for them to mess around a bit with the quote.

- Liondog, 19XX Series II.5

cscutt
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I have my Series III insured with full coverage at Farmers Insurance, No problems with age on the vehicle or what she looks like:thumb-up: .

Are there any recommendations for insurance? The truck will be registered in New York and will not be a daily driver. Hagerty insures my Morgan but seems uninterested in tha SII. The insured my SIII ten years ago, but it seems they've changed.

bmohan55
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Don't pass the same cop twice in the same week.

I have antique tags too. VA was a joke compared to PA. In PA you had to provide photos and any little flaw was cause for disapproval. In VA anything goes as long as it meets the 25 year rule.

If you drive it too work one day a week and on weekends for a car show or off-road event you would be fine. If you want to drive it daily, get regular tags.

bmohan, why would they make you change the marker lights and speedo?

My marker lights (in fact most lights) were non-functioning, I replaced headlights, tail lights and turns signals. Speedo worked up to about 35 mph then fell to zero.. after my "working on it" it doesn't move at all!

Limited use is "sunday drives" and to and from club events, parades and car shows. I drive it to work couple times a week, if I get in an accident I figure I'll tell them I was taking it in to have the mechanics there work on it...half the time that's the truth anyways. I'm luckey to have some great and knowlegable car guys as co-workers. BTW Hagerty just asked me to name the declared value, no back up documentation.

South Larry
06-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I think you may have spoken to the wrong person at Haggerty. I've used them for years covering several old Series vehicles and just had my '73 Series III policy re-issued. I've found them to be one of the most cost effective carriers....It might just be a Florida thing???
Larry

Eric W S
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I think you may have spoken to the wrong person at Haggerty. I've used them for years covering several old Series vehicles and just had my '73 Series III policy re-issued. I've found them to be one of the most cost effective carriers....It might just be a Florida thing???
Larry

Agent thing is more likely.

Florida is absolutly terrible for insurance. Very pricey.

Bostonian1976
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Larry

I have it as well in MA with stated value of 8500 bucks. 92 bucks a year. Time for a different Hagerty rep!

rbonnett
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I went with the antique registration here in Maine for the same sort of reasons: minor light issues and a small exhaust leak. I wanted to at least drive it some while sorting those out. Now that I have, I plan on converting to regular registration and inspection so I can drive it whenever I like.

Been insured through Geico for years (that lizard is just so darn cute); had several claims, mostly for windshields, and never had any beef with them. The SIIa is just convered for liability for now; I can get a classic car policy with them, but have to go through an appraisal first. Since I plan on a lot of changes in the next 6 months or so, I'm was going to defer that to avoid churning on reappraisals. If some companies let me name my own value, then I may have to rethink that decision.