PDA

View Full Version : santana overdrive question

glbft1
06-10-2009, 05:58 AM
I have a santana overdrive that works great but it hums when engaged is this normal for overdrives?

LaneRover
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Not being very bright, overdrives have to hum because they don't know the words. . .

Jeff Aronson
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Overdrives, whether Fairey or Santana [Toro] make noise when they are engaged. For your comfort, check your overdrive case oil for amount and for the color of the oil. If it's not amber colored, I'd recommend changing it so you're running clean oil. It will help the gears and bearings last longer.

Jeff

Firemanshort
06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
If there bearing is worn - it will make a lot of noise. The gears will start to float a little if it is really worn and floating gears start to eat themsevles up. (Do not ask how I know.)

If in doubt - new oil and new main bearing. The bearing is not that much are fairly easy to get to.

Tim Smith
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I have also used Lucas oil as an additive. It was pretty amazing how much it quieted the transfer case and overdrive down. Now it only sounds like Armageddon is around the corner instead of right on my doorstep when I'm on the highway and pushing it in a speed run.

I've heard Red-Line is good too.