PDA

View Full Version : series II wiper motor conversion question

willyswagon
06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I have a 60 series II 109 and have the ability to buy the stuff off a series III to convert the wiper motors to the single set up. It seems like the holes in the bottom that the shafts go through don't match up. Should I buy the entire windshield frame out of the parts truck or is it easyer to drill a new hole or two in my frame.

Also same truck new question. The right hand rear axle flange has no plug in it to fill the full floating assembly with gear oil. This normal? I noticed it's the side closer to the diff and may get lubed off that.

I am new to rovers so sorry if the questions are simple.
Stephen

graniterover
06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
SII and SIII windshield frames are very different in the way they bolt to the bulkhead. You can't just swap them without welding. Just rebuild the SII motors. You can do it in one night sitting in front of the TV. I guess if you could find a late IIa windshield frame it would have the correct holes in it, but I'm not certain.

The gear oil in the axle comes from the diff. Just check that and keep it full.

Buy a manual.

Have fun.

willyswagon
06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok that sounds great, Thanks for the info. My current wipers work fine I just wanted the extra speeds.

Mike Koch
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Some early IIA enthusiasts have taken their existing wiper motors to a local marine shop and found something that matches, but with improved performance.

JSBriggs
06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
The shafts from dual motor wipers go through the windshield frame. The single motor set up (both 2a & 3) go through a holes in the bulkhead. You could make a blanking plate for you windshield frame if you wanted to convert.

-Jeff

greenmeanie
06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
The shafts from dual motor wipers go through the windshield frame. The single motor set up (both 2a & 3) go through a holes in the bulkhead. You could make a blanking plate for you windshield frame if you wanted to convert.

-Jeff

The NADA 109s were the transitional vehicles for the wiper systems. They have the single wiper motor and the hole in the bulkhead as descibed. THe windscreen also has the hole with a blanking plate. I may have a picture of the blanking plate Rover used if you want it.

willyswagon
06-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah,
If you have a picture that would be great! I am trying to keep my options open and every piece of info I can get would be excellent. Thanks,
Stephen

TeriAnn
06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok that sounds great, Thanks for the info. My current wipers work fine I just wanted the extra speeds.

After one of the wiper motors broke on my 1960 SII I switched to a SIII single motor system. My wipers went from eventually make it across the windscreen to fast and frantic speeds.

You want to get all the parts from the SIII including the wiper motor mounting bracket and all the wires. For me the hardest part of the conversion was mounting the wiper motor. Its been over 15 years since I made my conversion and I never documented it so I'll have to go from memory.

If I remember correctly I based my conversion around the rectangular hole that goes on the top of the bulkhead's instrument mounting area. I got the dimensions off the SIII. Next things is to remove the scuttle vent opening screw assemblies. You will need to file notches in them when you put them back on, but for new you need them out of the way.

You need to drill two holes in the bulkhead just below the windscreen. Take measurements from the SIII so you know where the holes should be spaced from each side. The hole should be just large enough to clear the shaft and centered vertically in the panel space.

Next, assemble the motor, tubing and drive boxes. Line them up with the curved tube from the motor going through the approximate centre of the rectangular hole. This will tell you where to drill the holes for the motor mounting screws. mark them, remove the motor & drill. The hard part for me was getting the screws on. Mount the motor.

Mount the switch and connect the wires to the motor. The SIII owners manual for North America should have a correct wiring diagram for the wiper wiring.

You will need to notch the back edges of the scuttle vent closing assembly.

That's mostly that. I will never go willingly back to the dual motor system again. The single motor system is a lot better and safer.

superstator
06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I just recently replaced the dead wiper motor in my NADA 109 with a new SIII motor, and yes - mounting that thing is a royal pain. You will need to get the backing plate lifted up inside the bulkhead just behind the brake master cylinder before getting the bolts started for the strap that holds the motor - I ended up passing some 18g wire through the top hole I drilled, down through the bulkhead, through the nut on the new backing plate, and then knotting the wire so I could pull the plate up and into place. Then I put the bottom bolt on reasonable tightly, pulled the wire through, and loosely installed the top bolt and the top of the strap that secures the motor. Remove the bottom bolt again, squeeze the motor in there, and now restart the bottom bolt, this time with the strap in place.

It was a complete bitch, and I was so done with the whole thing that I never did go back and figure out the park switch... :) But my wipers really do have two speeds now - moderately fast, and moderately faster. Which is much better than the one speed I had before - glacially slow.

greenmeanie
06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
One little detail to further TeriAnn's description is to play with the wheel boxes so you understand the rotation that results from the cable passing through them in each direction as the motor moves it back and forth. Incorrect orientation of the wheel boxes relative to the cable means you wipers will do some interesting things when you turn them on. If you are stripping them off a donor make sure you take a photo of this orientation as you will question it later.

willyswagon
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone,
Your suggestions are very helpfull. For right now my slow wipers with rain-X are working ok. Long term it will not do. Now I know what parts to locate and how to get things together. I know I could figure it out but I am a firm believer in learning off the experience of other wiser people. (saves ALOT of time and usually money too) If you want to see my rover I poasted a thread on the show me your series post. It's on one of the last pages. Lookes like a Zebra and has a Mercedes Diesel I just put in. I love it!! out of all the old trucks and cars I have had this is my favorite. Thanks again,
Stephen