PDA

View Full Version : What radiator do I need? (RD conversion)

alaskajosh
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Gents:
I have the Robert Davis Mercruiser conversion and my radiator just gave up the ghost. I don't know if it was the original radiator to the LR 6cyl that was in this, or if it was sized up for the bigger (3.0) conversion.

What it looks like: a 2" thick core of normal LR dimensions. Four tubes deep. Bottom hose at the right hand corner, top at the left hand corner.

The local rebuilder wanted more to re-core it than what I could buy a new "Genuine" for... provided the new genuine will cool this 3.0 engine.

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards, Josh

NickDawson
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
you might want to call Robert Davis soon - he phoned me last week to say he was "retiring"... but he's always been eager to chat with those who are interested.
I have his number if you need it - drop me a PM.

alaskajosh
06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Mr Dawson: look for a PM.

I'm leaning towards replacing what was in there with a 2.6 radiator...??? Does anyone know if it is a 4 core? Thank you.

Kind regards, Josh

graniterover
06-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Judging from the stuff I got from him, he's been 'retired' for a while. ;-)

alaskajosh
06-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Right. No, I have his number... and I'm bringing my questions here....

Kind regards, Josh

daveb
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
where are you going to get a new genuine 2.6l radiator from? RN has proline ones for $469 or so.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-14185-radiator-26-litre-series-iia-iii.aspx

robert's conversions used the original radiators.

if the proline unit is a 3 row you may have problems. all the original series land rover radiators were 4 row but alot of the aftermarket stuff is only 3.

Gents:
I have the Robert Davis Mercruiser conversion and my radiator just gave up the ghost. I don't know if it was the original radiator to the LR 6cyl that was in this, or if it was sized up for the bigger (3.0) conversion.

What it looks like: a 2" thick core of normal LR dimensions. Four tubes deep. Bottom hose at the right hand corner, top at the left hand corner.

The local rebuilder wanted more to re-core it than what I could buy a new "Genuine" for... provided the new genuine will cool this 3.0 engine.

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards, Josh